Initial cost of reloading

skinner

what should i look to spend to get started reloading? and is it worth reloading .243 win. i am looking to save some cash on ammo and having some fun trying different loads.

All depends on your bank account and how precise you want to be. I think you can get a Lee beginner package for under $100. Once you start though I bet you will get more picky and precise so you might as well by the better stuff to begin with instead of buying again later. Striving for accuracy is adicting.

You can buy quality reloading tools on ebay or other places such as good solid RCBS press that sells for $150 or more new for $40, an RCBS 10-10 scale for $30 etc. Lee Dipper set $10, used caliper, set of dies and go for it. 1-2 reloading manuals such as the annual Hodgen for under $10 and the big Sierra for around $45

Buy quality solid tools (used to start with) versus cheaper and less sturdy.

I have got 35 yr old presses and scales.

BH

what should i look to spend to get started reloading? and is it worth reloading .243 win. i am looking to save some cash on ammo and having some fun trying different loads.

I think it's worth it for both fun and saving money. I just got into it about 8 months ago and I'm really glad I did.

I bought an RCBS Master kit, dies, electronic calipers, bullets, trimmer, powder and primers for less than $500. I got most of it all new at a local gun shop. I could have got it a little cheaper if I went to Walmart. If you want to go even cheaper than walmart you'll see deals on ebay for both complete kits and individual components. You could probably get your initial cost down to $300 if you worked at it.

I mostly reload 270 wsm and 308 cartridges. The factory 270 WSM cartridges that I used to buy cost $45 per box. I think my cost is around $15/box (probably less). That's around $30/box savings. At that rate, I paid for the initial equipment cost after about 20 boxes. I'd did that in the first 2 months. I've also gone through about 1000 308 rounds since I started. An while I don't save as much with the 308's, I still save. In addition to the savings, I'm also getting very accurate ammo for my guns. AND, I'm much better shot because of all the practice reloading allow$ me.

it is worth it! i started reloading for my 243 in june and i have been loving it. i bought the lee challenger breech lock kit which has almost everything you need, other than that kit i'd recommend the sierra manual or something like it, digital caliper, a VLD deburr tool i have a lyman that works gr8. i have the hornady 2 die set: bullet seater die, and the sizing die taht does neck and shoulder, if you get this die set or one like it make sure to get the hornady one shot aerosol lube!!! but i ended up buying a lee collet neck sizer die after a couple months or so, and its awesome, i shoot a softer load and i can just neck size, dont have to worry about the shoulder. and shooting a more reduced load makes brass last lots longer, and i dont have to trim as often. what kind of .243 do you have? good luck!

atm im shooting a savage model 11. but then again my girlfriend's father owns a gun shop in okeechobee florida. so it will probably change down the road alittle

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.