initial 107 matrix accuracy test.

Coyboy

I shot my new 6br yesterday, the previous afternoon I shot 10 bullets to brake-in and velocity test.

So I made 2 generic loads seating die depth didn't change for the 2 bullets used.

31 grains of varget topped with a 107 SMK shot a 5 shot 1.5" group at 600 yards.

The same Load with the 107 Matrix went into 4 inches. I will give them another go and try and tune a seating depth.

Velocity of both bullets averaged 2850.

Jim, your 600 yard group is very impressive with the 107 SMK's. I shoot them in my 6br. Mine will not shoot 31 gr of varget it is to hot. So I had to back down to 29. (28" Krieger) What are ya using for a primer? I have found my rifle to be a bit picky with primer selection.

Please keep us informed as your test continues. I always like to hear about a 6br with big bullets. Awesome caliber.

Jeff

Jeff, I noticed a couple of very very slight ejector marks on a couple of the case heads and backed it down to 30.6 today and loaded some more 107 smk and matrix. Will shoot them soon to test.

I measured the group today and it was 1.350"

Jim,
Just want to say that you not only build very accurate rigs, you can also shoot them very well too!!!
Good for you!
Ernie

Thanks Ernie,

I just finished shooting the Matrix 107 again today,

Not good, changed powder charge in one load and seating depth in the other. At 450 yards they were running around 3/4-1 moa in a 1/4 moa capable gun.

For what they charge, They should just buy smk 107s and repackage them.

I hope you contact them and let them know how they are doing. I would assume they would want to correct it.

Odd as it may seem, I'm seeing groups from those same bullets measuring .089 100yd and IBS shooters are getting under 2" on a windy day @ 600yds. (same lot as yours)
Obviously results may vary, for whatever reason? LOL, Shish:).
Thanks, Marshal

I don't quite understand it myself, The rest of the bullets are going to a friend to test in his gun.

marshal, any advice on getting these to shoot?
I normally seat .020 off the lands, should I be jamming yours?

I didn't bother to weight or measure the bullets, I'll go thru some on Monday.

Thanks Jim, .010 off, 30.5 of varget 205s, 8 twist, (6BR) and even I can make em shoot. and I'm not a very good shot.
It's like everything, and as we all know results really do vary.
weights are usually within .02, and the bearings don't move, the jackets are of course the best there is, and the cores are clean with no inclusions. I donno?? got the pointy end sticking out?

I donno?? got the pointy end sticking out?

\
That must be it!:rolleyes:
I'll give them one more try and if they don't come around, I'll let Greg mess with them.

Thanks for the reports Jm. I won't for even a minute suggest I could tell you anything about rifles or loading, but for what its worth my groups shrunk alot with a simple primer change in the same loads.

My rifle didn't shoot the 105 Bergers well right off, so I tried the 107 SMK's and hit on a load I was more than happy with. I often think I will give the 105's another try as I shoot Bergers in most of my rifles. But then I think why mess with a good thing? My wife laid claim to this rifle now anyway. I let her shoot her first group at 1000 yards with it. 3 into 4 1/2" :rolleyes: I think she got lucky but I better not say that out loud..:D

Jeff

That luck must run rampid, Nate's wife took his F-class state champ title away from him a couple of years ago.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.