Inherent accuracy....

Junglework

I have witnessed many accurate rifles in 6PPC and 6BR and wonder what would be comparable among the big-bore rifles. What are the inherently accurate .30's and up (factory and custom). Do any match the consistent accuracy of the above named cartridges?

The 30 BR, 308 win, 30-338, 300 win, 300 wsm, 308 baer, and 300 ultra all have great accuracy potential and they will be very consistent with load tailoring for daily conditions. All the above have seen lots of action on the 1k benchrest circuits (except for the 30 br which is kicking but at 300 yd hunter class right now) and are proven winners.

However, none of the above cartridges can compete at 100 or 200 yards on a daily basis with the 6ppc. Not even the famed 6br which I love (I have two) can beat the 6ppc on a daily aggregate. It has won a few relays and even a few matches, but across the long haul the ppc will ultimately win out.

As GG said the 30 BR has been dominating IBS 100 and 200 yd. score matches for the last several years. The existing HV VFS 100 yd. record was recently broken. The old record, 250-25X with 19 wipeouts was bumped up to 250-25X 21 wipeouts. The old record was with a 6PPC and the new with a 30 BR.
The 300 Win. Mag. Is still the 1000 yd. Long Range Highpower record holder.

If one checks all the NRA Highpower Records for 1000 yards, they may learn that the 6.5-.284 was used most often.

The 6.5 x 284 has certainly become very pouplar in LR Highpower. However, to the best of my knowledge, the present record of 200-19X is held by Carl Kivalcaik. The record was set at Quantico in 1996 the same year Carl won the Wimbledon.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.