information and opinions on rifle build please

mhiltz

I am currently trying to decide what components to purchase to build my first custom rifle. I would like opinions from those who do this often and know quite a bit about it.

I am wanting to build a 338 Lapua. I am ready to spend some money on it too. I was thinking of starting with a Surgeon 1581 XL action, a Krieger barrel 26", and a Mcmillan A5 stock. Will that stock fit that action? The Surgeon add says that action requires a 1.350" contoured barrel. Is that the minimum contour, or the only option?

I would like some opinions on these components, and alternative components that might work better. Also, any good recommendations on trusted gunsmiths that would put this all together when I receive it all.

How long does it usally take for a smith to build a rifle like this, if he has all of the components?

I have never done this before, and know very very little about it, so any information is highly appreciated.:)

Thanks

Here is what I'd do. 1- change that barrel length to a min 28 since your opting for the 338. You will want that extra barrel for more juice on the next area code shoots. 2nd I'd go with the Mcree precision folding stock. I have one on my 300 wm and love it. 3rd 2 sets of badger or nightforce rings. That way your scope is locked down good. Some say one set is enough, some say two. Your chioce. 4th a really good break. I use a Ross 5 port breaks on all mine and love them.

That action you picked, those are top notch.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts