Infor on 280 Ackley

OKbow87

I am hoping to get the funds together by the end of the summer to start a build. I have been interested in the 280 ackley but havent seen alot of info on it. Looks like a good way to get 7mm mag performance without the belt and slightly more efficient. If anybody has any good links to, or personal info and data that would be great. And also if you have any personal experience with this round, positive or negative feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Colin

OKbow87,

I have a 280AI on a M700 action that was blueprinted, Hart #5 flutted 24" barrel.The current scope is a VXIII 2.5-8 but is being replaced by a Mark 4 4.5-14PR.
With the 160 gr AB, 62.0 grs RL22,Fed GM215M, R-P case, MY mv is very close to 3000 fps and she shoots in the .2's.
With the 120 gr BT, 62.0 grs RL19, approx 3300 fps, the only group I shot was .277" for 3 shots. The first 2 went .100".
Fire forming cases is a snap. Start with virgin 280 Rem brass and a Max load of 280 Rem.I use 140 gr BT and 57.0 grs of RL19, GM210M primers. No need to seat bullets on the lands.
Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions, I will try to answer.

JD338

Open our search tool and enter .280 for the topic, 4ked horn for the username and choose newer than 4 years. I have asked a number of questions like yours over the years and there is a ton of great responses. I'm still waiting for the right time to build my dream .280. Let me know if you have any questions too.

Thanks guys! JD your setup is pretty much what i am planning on doing. M700 action 26-28 inch hart barrell, hs stock, and probably a burris black diamond. I think it will be a pretty dangerous set up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What kind of info are you looking for? what it is? load data? comparisons to other cartridges?
Loaded for 2 rifles, and ive got some data.

OKBOW, I OWN A 280 ACKLEY SMITHED BY DARREL HOLLAND OF POWERS OREGON. FINE CALIBER AND RIFLE BASICALLY A 5 SHOT ONE HOLE GROUP RIFLE WITH 140 NOSLER BT AND SOME RELOADER 22. YOU WILL BE AMAZED BY THE ACCURACY OF THE FIREFORMING LOADS ALSO. MY RIFLE IS A MCMILLAN STOCK TRUED 700 ACTION AND A SCHNEIDER 1 10 TWIST BARREL, JEWELL TRIGGER SET AT 8 OZ. IT IS TOPPED WITH A BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND 8-32. IT IS BALLISTICALLY CLOSE TO THE 7MM REM MAG AND A LOT MORE EFFICIENT, DIES ARE AVAILABLE FROM REDDING AND WILSON FOR THIS IMPROVED CARTRIDGE. WHEN THIS BARREL IS GONE THERE WILL BE ANOTHER 280 ACKLEY GOING IN ITS PLACE. NEEDLESS TO SAY I LIKE THE CARTRIDGE AND RECOMMEND IT. YOU CAN PM IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO THAT I HAVE.

My .280AI was smithed by Bullberry...spec's are 24" tube, .700" muzzle diameter, BP'ed Rem 700, factory wood stock, glassed and topped w/ a Burris 6-18X Fullfield II w/ fine plex and target turrets. Shoots 168gr SMK's to 2900fps w/ RL-22, Fed GM 30-06 brass necked down and CCI200 primers. Excellent shooting rig that will make 1st shot hits on anything I point it at out to 500yds. It has the ballistic capability to perform at much longer distances but 500 is the longest range I have available for testing.

Thanks again guys. Im glad to see some positive feed back on the round.

Abinok, I have found data on it. I was mostly looking for personal thoughts on the round, but if you have some good data I would be more than happy to see it. Also any comparisons to other calibers would be great, b/c im not totally set on the 280 AI at all.

OKbow87,

280 AI is a good round, but if not sold on it look at the new 7mmWSM on the posts here. Similar velocities(maybe slightly higher)with good accuracy. Just a thought.

I have a 280Ai on the way right now , I plan to shoot 150gr Ballistic tips for deer and the 160gr Accu-Bond for anything bigger. From the data I have seen and folks I have talked to I think 3000fps with the 150-160 class bullets is do-able. My rig is going to have a 27" 3 groove Pac-Nor barrel.
As for other options , I had a 30-06 AI for a long time and it was hard for me to go the rout of the 280 but the whole been their don that thing got me and several guys swore that I would be impressed with its performance on game. The old 06Ai accounted for alot of critters all of which fell to the only bullets that I hunted with out of it the good old 180gr Nosler Partition.

the new short mags sure are nice though , the 300WSM and the 7mmWSM would both be great choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.