Info wanted on Kowa 821M with 27 long eye relief

Dave King

I've been digging around for a while trying to discover info on the Kowa 821M with a 27x long eye relief eyepiece.

Are there different models of the 821M as the price for the body only seems to vary a great deal.

Is the 27X eyepiece sufficient for 300 yard competition use (maybe see a bullet hole in paper)??

What place has a good price on such a scope and eyepiece, and is reliable as a vendor?? (I'll pay extra for less hassle, I hate cheap vendors).

Dave,

I bought my Kowa spotting scope at Opticsplanet.com and they were very helpful and speedy. Only one transaction, but it was perfect.

AJ

I believe that model is discontinued. There is the straight body and the angled body Kowa 820 and the angled is more expensive. I have a straight body one. I have a 21 wide angle and a 32 wide angle lens for it. But I do not have a 27 LER.

The lens are really cheap at Optics Planet if you can find a body somewhere.

One other thing about opticsplanet. There is a lady there that answers all their email etc. and she is REALLY knowledgable about the Kowa's and can certainly help you out.

AJ

One other thing is to get the carrying case. It is worth the money.

The lens fit exactly right in a three container Crystal Light tube wrapped in the bubble wrap it comes in and that is very handy to protect it from bangs and dings.

I supect that in your sheltered existence that you didnot know that a six container Crystal Light tube with the bottom cut out makes a great slip on sun shade for a scope. You have to darken it with duck tape of course.

If you need any more Hints from Heloise on using Crystal Light containers let me know.:D

Last edited:
BB

I didn't know about the Crystal Light containers but I heard that a Midol box can be used as a varmint call. I've heard of folks using the plastic six-pack soda things to carry cats, six at a time!!

I believe I'll buy a Kowa from somewhere, I see the body listed for about $640 and the 27x Long Eye Relief eye piece for ~ $180. I was just curious as I also see the system listed for well over $1,000 in many places, Cabela's included and thought there may be something special I didn't know about the Kowa.

I'm not intending to use it for hunting, just competition benchrest varmint something for scope... Doc Ed's going to teach me how to do the benchrest stuff correctly I believe (if I'm able to be taught at all).

Dave, yes you can usually see .30 bullet holes on paper at 300, almost always at 200. It depends ALOT on the light. You might try this link: Jim Owens' Jarheadtop.com. He's super knowledable and an old time highpower shooter. I met him at Camp Perry a few years back, and he's just as helpful in person.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.