Info on reamers

Stanm70

So I know you can have custom reamers made for specs you specify. But how is throat adjusted? Is the throat length built into the reamer? Or is it an adjustable thing?

To adjust the throat length you need a throating reamer and you can only go longer than the throat that the reamer comes with. Typically when you order a custom reamer you specify what bullet your shooting and it will be throated for it or you send in a dummy round how you want it.

Ahh ok so if I were to tell a high end gunsmith i wanted my 6mm xc chambered for vld's most likely they wouldnt have to make a special order?

Most likely a 6XC reamer would be set up for VLD's since long range competition is what it was designed for. If not then they could buy a throating reamer and set the throat for VLD's since they are the longest bullets used in 6mm typically. If you want a different neck dimension then you'd have to order a new reamer or buy a necking reamer.

It's always OK to call the smith and make sure your both talking about the EXACT same specs. It will be very frustrating for both of you if the barrel has to be set back or settle for something you don't want. He will probably have a print available that can be emailed for faxed.

If you have/want something special Call the reamer manufacture and tell him what it is for and any thing different than SAAMI spec .

He will make recommendations and send you the reamer dimension for your approval before he cuts it.
He may request a dummy load (Bullet, but no powder and primer loaded to the COAL you want and with the bullet you want to use.

He can assist you in free bore and throat dimensions.

Cut out the middle man and go straight to the reamer manufacture to buy your reamer, that way you lessen the chance you get a reamer that is not what you want.

I like to use Dave Manson @ Manson precision reamers for the service and quality. PT@G also is a good one but sometimes his service is less than stellar.

J E CUSTOM

So what is a typical lead time for reamers right now? And how much are they on average?

A wild cat reamer is $150.00 + and a 6 to 8 week delivery. Manson will deliver when he says he will.

If you find out you can live with a SAAME spec reamer you can save lots of money and time if he already has the reamer.

I use mostly standard reamers and if I want to load something special I single load if they wont fit
the magazine.

Sometimes PT@G has the reamer in stock for a little less but there are no guaranties when you will
get it. (Most of the time I have had good luck with PT@G) but not always .Dave Kiff is a good guy
and very helpful but some of his help is poor at best.

J E CUSTOM

Just going on record about JGS. They might be extremely busy (16 weeks) building the best reamers you can get but the only time I ever had an issue with one they fixed my reamer the same day. They are stand up guys. They pay family wage jobs with benefits and most of their crew has been there 20 years or more. I live within driving distance to them and they frequently hand deliver here. My only complaint is their cost. $200 for reamers and frequently $100 for a gauge. Ouch! but they are worth it. They use a slightly staggered flute arraignment to combat chatter and they cut extremely smooth chambers. I have to run some 400 in when we are done to rough it up a bit.

It's neat to visit there and see some of the stuff they do for the manufacturers. They had some shotgun reamers in there for someone that were fusion welded together out of different materials to get the product to do what it needed to do. Way over my head for sure. They cost something like $5000 each and they had a whole table of them. They are 10 miles from the highway out in the country and you would never suspect the level of precision coming out of that old schoolhouse. Reamers and gun stuff is what you see in the catalog. They do much more that isn't published.

My next choice is PT&G. I have never tried Manson but may soon.

Thanks! Kinda random but is baisic gunsmithing such as reaming chambers threading barrels and cutting crowns. Are those things that can be learned to do for myself on a lathe? Or is gunsmithing school a must?

Thanks! Kinda random but is baisic gunsmithing such as reaming chambers threading barrels and cutting crowns. Are those things that can be learned to do for myself on a lathe? Or is gunsmithing school a must?

One of the best Gunsmiths I knew was self taught. He bought many books on Gun Smithing
and taught him self about machining.

He had a knack for it and the skill set also he held himself to the highest standards. he never tried anything on customers first he always tried anything new on one of his rifles.

This is a slow and troublesome way to learn Gun Smithing though and any schooling will help.

If you decide to do it your self start slow and with the basics (Cleaning and bedding are good places
to learn what helps accuracy). Take your time and be very critical of you progress and quality.

If you have the skills you will do fine.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.