info on JP Campbell guns

koginam

I bought a rifle from an estate sale and the action is a Enfield chambered in 7STW the barrel says built by J.P. Campbell The bases and rings also say J.P.Campbell The floor plate is engraved and the sling mounts pop out of the thumbhole stock I haven't put a scope on it yet but before I spend anymore money do any of you know of this maker? The owner had three other guns made by the same maker two Sako's and a strange looking Mauser 98 that had to weight in at 30+ pounds chambered in 6X284

JP Campbell was a gunsmith / Manufacture/ class 11 Manufacture out of Washington or Oregon. He made some nice guns, pretty but fine shooters they were expensive as heck. Do you know if the 6X284 is still for sale? and how much. I know a guy in Missouri who had one of his 6X284 and shot chucks out past 1K. It should be worth putting a scope on just to see how it shoots.

Check the end of the muzzle and I bet you have no rifling showing. J.P. Campbell built his own barrels and his favorite barrel design was a tapered bore with the last 4 inches without rifling your barrel may have as many as 12 lands as well. His firearms were few and far between If there is any ammo with the gun you should take one apart and weigh the powder load and bullet, try to duplicate the load. I would appreciate if you could send me a contact persons name and address concerning the other firearms.

You were right I have a smooth bore for 3.95 inches. How will this affect the accuracy? I was able to get the original info on the rifle from the wife it includes the loading info. She gave me all the loading dies as well. These look custom made as well. Should I restock it? it has a very fine walnut thumbhole stock. Send mea e-mail adress and I send you the info [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.