info on 7mm Dakota + 180 berger?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Shan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Shan

Shan Member

I'm having a rifle built at the moment in 7mm Dakota and I'm starting to think about load development. I want to start with the 180 berger and just wondered if anyone has used this combo and if they can suggest a powder choice and perhaps some charges? I have been sent the info from walt berger on this combo, but just wondered what loads people have been using. Thanks

2. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

If you are going to be shooting long range ( 600 yds. + ) pick a Hodgdon Extreme powder and go from there. If those don't work study the data that Walt sent you picking a powder that has good velocity in the 85% fill ratio at mid load and try that one. Don't be afraid to try a faster burning powder if needed. Every barrel is different.

3. elmerdeer

elmerdeer Well-Known Member

The best powders I have used for speed and accuracy are Retumbo and Rl-25 with the 180's, start at 70 grs with both these powders and work up 74 to 76 grs these are the maxes I have found depending on the primers.
    Elmer

4. Shan

Shan Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Gonna try retumbo first and see how it goes. May try the 162 amax after that.