Info about the HEAVY 7mm specialty bullets needed?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by AJ Peacock, Oct 21, 2005.

1. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

I've been using the 162gr A-max in my 7rm for the last couple years. Because of the high BC and superb accuracy.
    I haven't had any problems with expansion, however every deer I've taken with the A-max; shot placement was perfect.

I've read about some wildcat/specialty 7mm bullets that are 200gr ???

Where are these available?

Will a factory throat work? The rifle is so accurate, I'd hate to fiddle with it until the barrel is shot out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whats the BC for these?

What is there construction ?

Typical hotload velocities in a 7rm ?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
    AJ

2. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

Email Richard at wildcat bullets, he'll help you out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wildcatbullets @ hotmail.com (REMOVE SPACES)

JB

3. AJ Peacock

Thanks.

AJ

4. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

I owned a 7 mm Rem 700 24 inch. I bought a 7 STW before they were comercially made. It has a 28 inch barrel and the correct twist to shoot 175 grain and heavier bullets.

The problem with a 7mag is the case can't hold enough of the slow powder and the barrel was to short to use the heaviest bullets. During chrono testing of 175 sbt's I was popping the 7 mag primers with IMR7828 and they were still 150 FPS down on the STW with out a any pressure problems.

If you made a 7mag with a 28 inch barrel you still would not have all the dynamics of the larger case and you still would probably be 100 fps down

5. AJ Peacock

I'm trying to figure out the best LR option for a 7rm that shoots .3MOA groups at 200 yards. I hate to rebarrel a rifle that shoots that well. Even after I get a true LR rifle, I will always have this as a backup (just in case a scope/rifle takes a dump).

My 7rm has a 26" barrel (not original, but it is a Rem barrel).

Thanks,
    AJ

6. Ronin

Ronin Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm trying to figure out the best LR option for a 7rm that shoots .3MOA groups at 200 yards. I hate to rebarrel a rifle that shoots that well. Even after I get a true LR rifle, I will always have this as a backup (just in case a scope/rifle takes a dump).

Thanks,
    AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon you should have a look at Kirby's 7mm Allen Mag. see the main index and go to the first link for a very desirable rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. AJ Peacock

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Thanks,
    AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon you should have a look at Kirby's 7mm Allen Mag. see the main index and go to the first link for a very desirable rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have my eye on a Kirby rifle, however I want to spruce up my current 7rm and then it will take backup duties. I've hunted with it since '78, its due a breather.

AJ