Indexed or 360 deg ?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Code4, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Code4

Code4 Well-Known Member

I am having a break fitted to my .264WM. My gunsmith wants to fit a 360 degree muzzle break but I'd like a 'two sided' design, indexed to throw the gases out right and left.

Are there any accuracy disadvantages to a two sided break ?
    What if it is not perfectly indexed ? Maybe 2-3 degree off.
    Will that make a difference ?

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

My research and asking questions of quality smiths says the following:

There are no disadvantages accuracy wise to a 'two sided' brake. Personally I feel there are no disadvantages of any kind to one.

Being off more than 2-3 degree off of perfect will not make a difference. BUT, it will drive ya nuts every time you look at it.:D Been there, done that. But noted smith here put my mind at ease. Shudda had him install the brake in the first place.:rolleyes:

The rifle I speak of looks 'off' to me which drives me nuts but shoots lights out to much farther than I ought to be shooting it.

3. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a side discharge brake for prone shooting to avoid throwing up so much dust. Most of the brakes designed by the smiths who frequent here are side discharge so I think that speaks volumes about the accuracy potential of them.

It would certainly be easier for your smith to install a 360 degree brake, but go with what YOU want, its your rifle. Nate Dagley told me he usually installs side discharge brakes a hair "underclocked" if they are meant to be removed since they will usually tighten up a little farther after being removed and retightened several times. Hope this helps!
    Sam

4. Code4

Code4 Well-Known Member

Thx for that guys. I appreciate the input.