Incredible article seen in 6mmBR.com

Goofycat

I recently read this article in the 6mmBR.com articles section and was fascinated by the entire article, including what it took to achieve almost perfect accuracy. A fascinating "read," and an article well-written. This should interest both long and short-range shooters, as well as newcomers/oldtimers who reload. Click on the suggested long version.

"Friends, we're talking about firing group after group approximately the same size as the gap on your spark plugs."

Secrets of the Houston Warehouse — Read this classic article « Daily Bulletin

Enjoy....

The Huston warehouse is something of a legend but the loading info is very misleading unless we have the same kind of rifles as was used in the article. And only a very few of us do! BUT - I suspect the charges varying as wide as two full grains in a 35 gr. charge applies to any well developed load for shooting inside maybe 300 yards. (That's why I get amused by loaders saying they want every charge to be more consistant than a mere .1 gr.! :rolleyes: )

Funny that this post came up today. At lunch today with Don Geraci we were talking about this article. If you read the article where they list the shooters Don's name comes up first and the list is not in alphabetical order. His name came first because he was the best BR shooter in the world at that time. He was the guy to beat before BR giant Tony Boyer came along to be the absolute best ever at the game. His take on the warehouse is a little different than the author of the article, but I am not going to say more than that until I ask Don if I can quote him. I suspect that he will give me permission because Don is sorta outspoken.

DSC_0064.jpg

I forgot to mention that Don is still a great shooter, but has lost his desire to compete. This is Don popping PDs while my wife spots for him. He also builds the most accurate rifles I have ever owned.

Last edited:
Disagreements or no disagreements, for me the article had a lot of technique stuff that I will try out just to see if it improves accuracy. I'm no Don Geraci, Boyer or Tubb---not even close---but since I am only an occasional shooter, the article brought to my attention things I had either forgotten or not considered. Eddy, I hope Don gives you the okay to post his opinions on the warehouse tests. I would enjoy reading what he has to say.

Goofycat, Thanks for posting. Some how I have never come across
this article, and although im not around the bench game much a very
interesting read none the less.

eddybo, on our WY hunt together, I enjoyed getting to know Tom who speaks highly of your knowledge and generosity.

Goofycat, Thanks for posting. Some how I have never come across
this article, and although im not around the bench game much a very
interesting read none the less.

I don't do much bench shooting either, since my local gun club lost its lease 10 or 15 years ago, and the land was taken over by a quarry company next to it. The nearest range is now over 30 miles away---on a dairy ranch---and is very poorly kept. They charge $10/day to use what they call a "range." It won't break the bank, but it is a far cry from the great facility the private club had before. When the club moved to the ranch, the cameraderie was lost because the ranch is also open to the public. Many of them are first-time shooters and don't know the proper range protocol.

I go there only to sight-in my rifles to check out the results of my occasional reloading, but I have no more reason to compete in club events held at the ranch (I dropped out when they moved). Too many wet cow pies to hopscotch around when changing targets. But enough whining.

Last edited:
That is interesting. Kinda like getting to see what goes on atop Mt. Olympus. I bet there are some stories.

I need to give you a call eddybo.

Tell mr Don I said hello.

Well whether it was posted here previously or not, I am very happy to have been able to read it.

Thanks, to those who were involved in both the shooting there, and to those who brought the story to "the rest of us."

I too really liked the article and what it had to offer.the one thing that got my attion was the way he shoot the rifel he was testing with.to just allow yourself to just about do nothing to the rifel and just pull the trigger seems to be a good idea.but would think it would be hard to do with say a bigger cal. rife no matter the weight of it.

I wounder if he would shoot a 300wm the same as he did with the rifel he was testing with.for me I have to hold onto my 300wm.but might try his way.would like to hear his thoughts on this.

I've tried shooting my 300wsm that way with no success. I can't even shoot it with my left hand back at the rear bag. My gun likes to be held on the forend. I think with the brake on there and usually shooting off a bipod it likes to hop so I have to hang onto it. I had a big smile on my face after reading the article. It opens your eyes to things especially in the brass prep. Thanks for sharing!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.