Increasing a 700 SA's magazine's length to accept longer cartridges?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by stanley52, Feb 9, 2013.

1. stanley52

stanley52 Well-Known Member

Ok so I have a 260 remington that likes 140gr AMAX's and it likes them barely off the lands (2.9 COL), but they won't fit in the magazine. Does anyone know of any makers of floor metal/detachable magazine systems that allow a 700 SA to increase the magazines length and allow it the ability to accept longer cartridges?

2. orwapitihunter

orwapitihunter Well-Known Member

Kevin Wyatt's MBE-5 or the CFE-5 boxes have an internal length of 2.995".

3. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

Had the same problem with my Browning Short action.
    Loaded 7 saum COAL was 3.020... Mag was 2.89...

My gunsmith added metal to the mag sidewall. Now my mags are 3.045 internal length.
    Just don't ask me how he did it :D Paid $100 per mag to get them "lengthened".

4. cwinner

cwinner Well-Known Member

How can I get a old of your gunsmith to fond out how he did this, I shoot Brownings too and would love a longer magazine.

5. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

I'll call him to see if he wants to join this board.
    Sometimes when he is busy it takes a while to get him on the phone,

Hmmm...
    If this price doesn't scare you or he is busy, I would think of selling you one of mine.

6. Rimfire

Rimfire Well-Known Member

Just run bottom metal that accepts AI mags. You can get AI type mags without the front spacer 2.980"
    Accurate Mag sells high quality AI mags.

7. stanley52

This is all really good stuff, my buddy informed me Alpha Industries also makes some AICS mags that run about 2.95-2.98 COL also. Thank you very much for the help everyone.

8. cwinner

cwinner Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no one makes a bottom metal for browning A- bolts that I know of AICS or otherwise.....I shoot AICS magazines in my rem 700 actions and would love them for my A-bolts.

I bought some alpha mags for my ruger scout rifle and they don't feed as well as the AICS.

All I have been able to do is to open up the front of my A-bolt magazines with a dremel tool to seat the bullets longer.....Mabel someday there will be a better solution for us browning fans.

9. Stanm70

Stanm70 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the newb question but are AICs magazines a general type or the company who makes them?

10. stanley52

AICS stands for Accuracy International Chasis System and its a stock setup for a couple different rifle action types. Accuracy Int. is the company. AI makes mags for their AICS and so do several other manufacturers. Several companies make bottom metal for remington 700's that accept AI mags, and there are several companies that make mags that fit in AI clone systems.

11. Stanm70

Stanm70 Well-Known Member

What did you just call me hippie?

12. stanley52

Wow I didn't even realize it was you I was replying to.. Hahahaha