In between caliber?

matt_3479

Currently have a 243. win and a 300. win mag that i am using as my main rifles. The 300. win mag is pushing the 210 VLD's and going to give the 215 vlds a go. Right now im using it as my main long range hunting rig and target rig. The 243. win is super accurate and cheap to shoot. Waiting on some 105 vld's and 95 vlds and will test some of those out for fun and targets. Only ever uses that rifle on the range or for coyotes. I have a Remington 700 chambered in a 7mm mag. Now i dont use this rifle as much, not sure if i wont to change calibers or just put some upgrades into this rifle. I do like the idea of having a good 6.5 cal and a buddy at work thinks i should rechamber and put some work into it and make it a good 7mm wsm on a long action to seat the 180's out a little but at that case im so close to 300. win mag performance it doesn't seem like it should be worth my time. Im in between right now and would be open for some opinions?

The 6.5's are calling to me lately. I've got a 6.5-284 in the pipeline, it could be that's moving them more forward in my mind.

Magic wand in hand I'd get a suppressed 260, 6.5 Creedmoore something in that range.

I also for some reason ended up on the EABCO site, and they are making a single shot falling block, in a 6.5/30-30 that for some reason appeals to me. Could be just unique.

The 6.5 Sherman sounds like exactly what you need. It is a 6.5, which is inbetween the bullet diameters, and it uses the .270 Win case (improved, of course), which is inbetween the short-action .243 case and the .300 WM case.

Contact Rich Sherman (Elkaholic) for more details.

Since you have a 700 mag action and you want a 6.5 caliber it screams 264 Win mag. :D

I have one with a Shilen 27 3/4" barrel, all that the smith could get out of a 28" blank. It is a screamer, 3350 fps and very accurate with 130 Accubonds and kills deer like lightening struck them.

I have all the calibers up to .338 but not all possible chamberings.

You could make any 6.5/.264 on a long action or 7mm/.284 Based on a short mag or 284 case.

Since you donor is a magnum bolt face, any 6.5 or 7mm short mag will be 'easy'. All will be accurate, if built properly.

Make what you would enjoy!

I vote 6.5mm :D

The 264 winny has a nostalgic pull for me, & since you have a mag action...:rolleyes:

I have the six & a half Wizzum, the SAUM would be just as good for different reasons. My father shoots the 6.5-06 AI, great cartridge.

Maybe a 6.5-300win mag?

t

I vote 6.5mm :D

The 264 winny has a nostalgic pull for me, & since you have a mag action...:rolleyes:

I have the six & a half Wizzum, the SAUM would be just as good for different reasons. My father shoots the 6.5-06 AI, great cartridge.

Maybe a 6.5-300win mag?

t
Now that would be nasty! Maybe a 6.5-300 Wby... Or a 7mm-300 WinMag.

I love the idea of a 260 rem for the fact it is ballistically similar to my winny without the big muzzle blast, all that powder and not a barrel burner. Give me something a little cheaper to practise with. I like the idea of the 260 ai for the fact it's got a little more speed. The 6.5x47 has always caught my eye but can't see an advantage over the 260 except the brass, even though you can get lapua brass from a 308 or 243 and resize.

Those 6.5-300's would be sweet not really what I'm looking for. Guess I gotta do some research and figure out something to due

I love the idea of a 260 rem for the fact it is ballistically similar to my winny without the big muzzle blast, all that powder and not a barrel burner. Give me something a little cheaper to practise with. I like the idea of the 260 ai for the fact it's got a little more speed. The 6.5x47 has always caught my eye but can't see an advantage over the 260 except the brass, even though you can get lapua brass from a 308 or 243 and resize.

Those 6.5-300's would be sweet not really what I'm looking for. Guess I gotta do some research and figure out something to due

Lapua does make 260 brass. The x47 is a neat little cartridge but is out horsepowered by the Creed' & 260.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/420958/lapua-reloading-brass-260-remington-box-of-100

t

Lapua does make 260 brass. The x47 is a neat little cartridge but is out horsepowered by the Creed' & 260.

Lapua Reloading Brass 260 Remington Box of 100

t

Oh that's awesome! I didn't realize that! Yah I have a couple buddies that run 6.5's and one runs the 6.5-55 swed and the other just sold his 6.5 cred to get a 260 made, cause he said he's sick of no brass, no components, and no factory ammo if needed. He was the one that told me he didn't think lapua made 260 brass. But he also said to just stick with the 243 and load up 105's and be done with it.

Is there a benefit running the creed over the rem?

Oh that's awesome! I didn't realize that! Yah I have a couple buddies that run 6.5's and one runs the 6.5-55 swed and the other just sold his 6.5 cred to get a 260 made, cause he said he's sick of no brass, no components, and no factory ammo if needed. He was the one that told me he didn't think lapua made 260 brass. But he also said to just stick with the 243 and load up 105's and be done with it.

Is there a benefit running the creed over the rem?

Personally, I chose the Creed over the 260. I'm not sure what issues your buddy was having.... maybe it's geographical? Even during the crunch I was able to find Creed' brass & ammo. It is single source right now which MAY cause concern.

The creed is a shorter more efficient case. It equals 260 performance in a smaller package. Hornady brass is great but not Lapua great (it's also a heck of a lot cheaper). Factory A-Max ammo is an absolute hammer in my Creed, Federal has yet to release (at least to my knowledge) FGMM in 260. Besides the smaller companies, I can't think of any match quality ammo available for the 260.

The 6mm's are bad to the bone however, the bore life isn't as long as the 6.5's in the same case.

t

Personally, I chose the Creed over the 260. I'm not sure what issues your buddy was having.... maybe it's geographical? Even during the crunch I was able to find Creed' brass & ammo. It is single source right now which MAY cause concern.

The 6mm's are bad to the bone however, the bore life isn't as long as the 6.5's in the same case.

t

I love the 260 and would choose it over the Creed for the very reason you stated. In a crunch, you can form brass from a 7-08, 308, or 243.

Either round (Creed, or 260) is easy on the barrel, your shoulder, and just plain fun to shoot.

I guess I'm going to have to do a little more research. I love the idea of a 6.5 creed or like i stated before 260. Rem. what kind of velocity's are people getting out of these calibers running the 139 lapua, 140 berger and 130 berger. I was speaking to my buddy again and he's right I'm just trying to find an excuse for a new cartridge in the family, which I don't mind cause he keeps saying ballistically it would be **** close running a 260 130 vs just sticking with my 243. Win and putting some work in it an running 105+ pushed hard

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.