In addition to all the other 6mm-284 questions...

Bullseye

Is a long action the way to go with this round like the 6.5-284? Seem like there is much more buzz about the 6 thand the 6.5 right now. For f-class and varmints is there a major advantage to one over the other?

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Will work in a short action and some say the stiffness of a short action adds to accuracy. You can add a longer magazine box depending on the action. No need for a LA, but it doesn't hurt, just adds weight and sometimes feeding problems. I would go 6.5 since brass wouldn't need to be changed and you could use on big game with better bullets than 6mm. Bullets for 6.5 should handle varmints with no problem. It is undisputed for LR shooting in competition. Good luck, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have mine on a short action. with the factory 308 bottom metal my bullets were too long(107's). I installed a badger dbm and thats not a problem any more. I hope that when the 117's get here i can still use the mag. If not i will still single feed.

d-a

Long action...

You can get away with a short action, but-

The reason for the 6x284 is long range, and long range means long bullets, and in a short action you will be seating them deep in the case. This takes up valuable powder space.

Built on a long action, you can use the magazine. You can load the long bullets out to touch the rifling, and still unload unfired rounds without removing the bolt.

I made the mistake of building a long case cartridge on a short action years ago, and if I don't fire the round, I have to remove the bolt to get the unfired round out of the action /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.