IMR4350 vs. H4350

I have a 257 wthby that I am starting to reload for. Looking at the manuals I have, I found several IMR4350 recipes. I do not have the IMR on hand, but have a pound of H4350 on hand. To my understanding the IMR is slower than the H powder. Could I use the H that I already have safely?
You can use your H4350 but I wouldn't choose either of them for a 257 Weatherby. I use H4831 in my 25-06. I'd use H1000 in a 257 Weatherby.

I have a 257 wthby that I am starting to reload for. Looking at the manuals I have, I found several IMR4350 recipes. I do not have the IMR on hand, but have a pound of H4350 on hand. To my understanding the IMR is slower than the H powder. Could I use the H that I already have safely?

try 58.0 grains of H4350 with a 120 grain bullet. Max load is 60.0 grains and the starting load is 56.0 grains. I would not go much below the 56.0 grains of powder due to the size of the case.
gary

Well maybe my question veared off topic a tad but it was posted to help the guy not to show off my knowlege. bottom line is there not a single post here that got nasty or wasnt intended to help the original poster other then yours. Ive been loading for 35 years and do have some experience. If this threatens you in anyway i appologize. Check out some other fourms and you will see that im a pretty respected man. One with not an once of bs in him. It is why i post with my real name rather then hiding behind some alias. Bottom line is if you dont like my posts you have the option to ignore them. Maybe you should stick to at least realoading instead of taking personal slams at people. Or maybe pay attention as even you may learn something.
Don;t ya just LOVE it when a guy ask's a question, then a couple "net genius" types get in a "mine's bigger than yours" Bull Crap tirade ! Just answer the guys question, as asked !

Sorry, but I'm seein' this more and more here and don't care for it.

Guys -I really appreciate all the input! Including the off the topic/related materiallightbulb-sometimes its educational to see things from another perspective, as long as it doesn't get ugly!:)

I've loaded some rounds with RL-25, will see how she does this weekend. My bottle of 4350 isn't going anywhere. I may even go into the H-1000 bottle...In time , I'll get things worked out and I'll have fun doing it!:D

Guys -I really appreciate all the input! Including the off the topic/related materiallightbulb-sometimes its educational to see things from another perspective, as long as it doesn't get ugly!:)

I've loaded some rounds with RL-25, will see how she does this weekend. My bottle of 4350 isn't going anywhere. I may even go into the H-1000 bottle...In time , I'll get things worked out and I'll have fun doing it!:D

Good luck! Let us all know how it turns out.

Im glad you have an open mind to this. to many handloaders want to buy a single powder for everything. It just doesnt work well that way.

Im glad you have an open mind to this. to many handloaders want to buy a single powder for everything. It just doesnt work well that way.
It does for me. If it won't work with H-1000 I won't own it.

Just kidding but I have considered that strategy thru the years.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts