IMR-7828SSC and 208 A-Max

blygy

Anyone have any experience with these components they would like to share??

I am loading for my Savage actioned, Sharp Shooter stocked, Shilen 33" barreled 300 Win Mag rifle..

Any suggestions??

Thanks Gentlemen..

Bill

Last edited:
Blygy,
You didn't mention what caliber that you will be using. My only experience with the A-Max 208 grain is in the 30/06 and RL22 powder. With that combination out of my rifle it's super accurate.

I just started shooting for accruacy last week and tried 60 and 61 grains. Not very good. Dropped down to 59 grains a couple of days ago and shot some groups in a high wind. The largest group was .75 inches and the smallest was .310.

Today in a 20 MPH breeze I hit a roughly man sized rock [waist up] at 789 yards first shot. It's a good load in my rifle.

This load however only produces 2560 FPS out of my 22 inch barrel.
Regards, Keith

For better results make 4 or 5"s of your barrel disappear, not enough case to use a barrel long enough for a 50bmg, its a harmonic disaster. But you will find your best accuracy with Imr4350, H4831, H1000, or RE22, I haven't had much luck with any bullet and 7828 in a 300wm. Somewhere around 67-69grns of 4350 or 70-71grns H4831 will most likely give you the best results.

200smk's and I7828ssc worked great in my 26" barreled savage 112 bvss.
Great accuracy and low es/sd.
It's just in my new 300win that Ramshot Magnum has worked out awesome with the 208 AMAX
It is build on a weatherby mark v action and has a Christensen arms barrel I bought lighty used.
26" barrel as well

Ramshot Magnum has been a stellar performer for me as well & I think it deserves a serious look.

As far a burn rate goes, it falls smack in between H-1000 & Retumbo, meters great.... If my 338RUM decides it doesn't like Retumbo, Magnum is next.
...I also used 7828 in the RUM, Worked great...

if bullet weight falls lower than that 208 I'd say 4350... In al reality, if you already have the ssc, just give'er a whirl, it'll either like it or hate it...

Well guys.. 73.5gr is working just fine.. 3 shot 100 yards groups are in the .2 or .3 MOA.. drops out to 1350 yards tells me it is between 2900 and 3000 FPS..

So it seems to be working fine for me..

Thanks for the input..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts