Imr 4064 and full 308 case not at max load?

My manual shows CFE 223 has very good velocity for the .308..

I have four sets loaded of 308 with the cfe and only got 3 sets was going to load 4 with 4064 but was worried cases where to full

So I have 5 shots in each set

Also have some cfe loaded in 223 to test

Overall for both guns I have 80 rounds of test loads

CFE does very well in the velocity arena.

I did not spend any time or resources tweaking my CFE loads. I wanted to save my powder for my 223 loads. Unfortunately I am traveling to the other side of the globle for week so I don't have access to my load data or i would send it to you for your evaluation.

CFE does very well in the velocity arena.

I did not spend any time or resources tweaking my CFE loads. I wanted to save my powder for my 223 loads. Unfortunately I am traveling to the other side of the globle for week so I don't have access to my load data or i would send it to you for your evaluation.

East missouri? I'm in central mo down by jefferson city
Nice to see another guy from missouri

I reload for 2 .308's. One xcr tactical rem 700 and a tikka Varmint. With 168 gr bullets both had nodes at 42 gr and 43.7-44 gr. accuracy was so good at the 42 gr nose that I stopped there. Velocity was great too! 2650 in the rem. never crono'd the tikka. Will play a bit more with the higher node this summer. But with 42 gr IMR 4064, 168 Amax, 210m primers, remington brass, (Hornady brass did well too) and a coal of 2.810 I couldn't expect much more for accuracy out of a factory rifle.

Get you a 4"-6" drop tube and that should cure the compressed issue. Many excellent powders for the .308. IMR4064 was the go to powder for the FTR shooters before Varget came along. I use H4895 with Berger Juggernaut 185's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.