Improvements

Cowboy18

I have a Remington 700 pss and was wondering if there was any thing that i could do to make it a real tack driver. It has it's standard stock, it has a Burris 6.5-20 fullfield scope on it. Looking forward to any suggestions that y'all may have.

You can take it as far as you want, you can send it to some gunsmiths that will do any or all of these things:

tune the trigger / replace trigger
bed the stock
cut a new crown
new / better optics,
take a turn off the barrel, re-chamber, new recoil lug,
install new barrel,
true the action,

Are you capable of shooting great groups? Maybe more practice is needed to get to the gun's potential. I have a couple guns that shoot better than I can.

For my 700 PSS guns, I did a bedding job and while it did not shrink the individual group sizes, it did make it more consistent. I also went to better mounts and optics, which did not hurt.

Practice is a little of it, because I have shoot it in about two years. Before I left home I was trying to make it a long range compatition gun/ coyote gun. Thanks for the ideas.

I have a Remington 700 pss and was wondering if there was any thing that i could do to make it a real tack driver. It has it's standard stock, it has a Burris 6.5-20 fullfield scope on it. Looking forward to any suggestions that y'all may have.

Pillar Bedding is the first thing to try and a fresh crown will generally help the accuracy
of any rifle.

A full blown accurizing (Blue Printing) is next and more expensive.

A custom barrel if a major contributor to accuracy but it needs the other things I mentioned
to reach its full potential.

J E CUSTOM

Why would you pillar bed a stock with aluminum bedding block? The block serves as the pillars. A proper stress free bedding job will act the same as a pillar job on a non aluminum block stock, right?

Why would you pillar bed a stock with aluminum bedding block? The block serves as the pillars. A proper stress free bedding job will act the same as a pillar job on a non aluminum block stock, right?

Not exactly. The aluminum bedding block can stress the action even when skim bedded. I use a small stack of shim washers set in the epoxy to create a short pillar to assure the action doesn't touch anywhere but right around the two action screws when I skim bed rifles with an aluminum bedding block. That's the only way I know to assure a stress free bedding job with a bedding block.

Fitch

Pillar bedding is a term that means metal to metal contact between the receiver and the floor
metal. so if the bedding block actually reaches the floor metal then you already have pillars
and need to bed only.

If you look at most inserts they do not reach the floor metal so washers should be used like
Fitch suggested.

Even with the bedding block/ insert I recommend bedding to minimize movement by the action
(No matter how well the insert is made it does not fit the action perfectly). After bedding you can
see the amount of contact it had with the insert because it will show through the bedding.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.