importing the .338 EDGE

Aussie Mike

Hey guys,
I see some of you are shooting the EDGE built by Shawn. I am just wondering how much (excluding the rifle cost), how long and how hard was it to get the rifle in country? I was told it was near impossable to import one so i settled and started building a .338 rum. If I am unhappy with the rum I might just buy an EDGE after all, if it's not too hard. What about the dies? Are they anything special or hard to get?

The other thing....
I am considering buying a US Optics scope. I have always used Nightforce and very happy with it. But i see alot of articles saying USO is even better. But why are they? I heard they were so tough that you can drive a nail into wood!! But I own 3 hammers and have never broken a Nightforce, so I need a reason other then this. I dont mind spending the money but I would like to know what I am paying more for. On the USO web it looks like you can customise the scope, but the one I am looking at is not that special, just a different turret and riticle. One would have to presume that the glass and internals are far better then that of the Nightforce. What do you guys think???

cheers
mike

Redding make the dies for the edge i bought some but then sold em to Jawz on here for his build :) they not cheap though as they are classified as custom dies.
As for the import and stuff i could not tell you but contact customs and ask the questions.
Go the nightforce or schmidt bender. At least you can buy the nightforce locally see it first and spend your stimulas money with an Australian company. Nightforce are made in the US but they owned by Aussies :D

Mike I am currently in the process of sorting out paperwork and an exporter for my 338 Edge being built by Shawn. The gun should be ready in about 6 weeks. It is not an easy process and the current govt in the US is making it very hard. I will let you know how I go. I am still pretty nervous about it at the moment. It now costs $250 US to apply for an export permit and then there is the cost of shipping and the exporters fees plus duty when it gets to Aus. I am expecting at least $1000 Aussie to get it in. You also need a B709 import permit for the Australian side. Makes the locally made version alot more appealing especially as there are some pretty good smiths being discovered. It will by interesting to see how the 338 edges being built by Shane Clancy turn out.

I went with the nightforce scope in a 5.5-22x56. I don't think you can go wrong there.

Matty

You may want to double check with Shawn on the dies, as you should be able to get away turning the die up higher in the press, at least for the neck sizing and seating. Full length you might need to either order the 338 Edge die or get a 300 RUM and have Shawn ream it when he chambers your rifle.

Thanx for the replies guys.
I have been talking to a few gunsmiths and I think the better option for me is to have a Aussie gunsmith build the EDGE. I think by the time the rifle comes into the country I would be paying way too much on things like shipping etc. So for now I will see how the RUM goes. I seem to be getting about 2730 fps with the 300grn SMk and acuracy is pretty good. So I think I will wear the barrel out on the RUM before I build the Edge on this action.gun)

As for the scope I have just put a deposit on a 5.5-22x50 NF NXS. Now just have to decide what to do with the spare 3.5-15x56 NXS I have.:rolleyes:

By the way
Are there any NSW hunters out there who have room for another hunting buddy or two. The perks of working for the government is they give you more holidays than you know what to do with.

cheers mike

Mate where are you at?
If you are after a smith me and topshot are having our Edges built by Shane Clancey his rep is pretty good.
I will have mine soon so will let you know.

At the moment I am living near Penrith, but i dont mind traveling. If you dont mind me asking JAWZ how much is Shane Clancey charging to do the job. And is he supplying the action, stock etc? I have heard he is pretty good.

Mate for the barrel ,chambering , action trued break fitted and the gun Durra coated it's about $1200.

I gave him a 300Wb Mkv for the action so i have a HS stock but will change to the A5 when i am sure the gun shoots well enough to justify more money.

I cant wait to go o St Mary's and deafen evryone to the left and right of me with that 30 inch barrel sticking out past the partitions wilst i fireform.gun):D i shoul get a couple of rounds off befor i am the last 1 in the range:D.

haha... I dont think I would like to be In that complex when you pull the triger. Will they let you do that ....I thought they had a restriction on the size that you could shoot in there. You might have to go to Silverdale.

As for the stock... is your HS the vertical grip stock or the sporter type? I have both types and have owned an A5.... As far as I am aware the A5 is a fair bit more $ and much harder to come by. The vertical grip is just as good in my book and I payed just under $1000 for it, and seems to be a lot easier to get... had mine in two weeks from ordering.

Hi Mike pm me your number ill tell you about a guy in sydney who built my edge, which im more than happy with . As it sounds like you already have the action very simple process that wont take long.

Mick who did your gun was it John clappam?

Mike they wont let me shoot my 500NE there but there aint no restrictions on te Edge.:D:D:D:D

Sweet ear splitting revenge.

Yep that's what I heard so he is doing my gun .

On another note I went through the copious amounts of projectiles I have and found some 225 partitions to use for fire forming brass . Might use them up at St marys :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.