I'm traveling from Missouri, where should I go prairie dog hunting?

Tyler Kemp

Taking a road trip out west with my dad and a buddy to shoot some varmints at the end of the month. I'm looking to get a 1k prairie dog, and shoot beyond that if possible.

Where would be a good place to go? I'm on the college budget, so free is best.

Thanks everyone!

Don't know where 'out west' is, but if it includes Colorado, you can try the Commanche National Grasslands in SE Colorado. There are some pretty good prairie dog areas out there.

I hunted last week...first time since 1997. Found a ranch near Selfridge, ND. I shot zillions of dogs out to 750. I set up one afternoon for a 1400 to 1800 yard dog with my Edge. Lots of shooting...not any killing.

But, they charge $100.00 per gun, per day. So that probably won't work for you. Paying $100.00 seems like a lot, but the quality of the towns is outstanding!!! Well worth it IMO.

Tod

That does sound fun, but at that price point won't work for me :(

Keep the suggestions coming! I've asked a few forums online and am looking to get a good idea of a region to travel to.

There are quite a few towns in SW ND you could hit, give me a day or two and i can try to email you a map of some towns? I would have to get them from my uncle so thats why i might need a couple days. Most places the farmer will let you hunt for free if you ask nice, they hate the things because the cattle step in their holes and break their legs.:rolleyes:

Any further info? Still looking to find a spot closer than some others I've found. Kansas, Colorado, South Dakota seem to be the best bets.

4xforfun... i sent you a email from my work account. would you be willing to share your contact name , address who charges 100.00 a day to hunt p-dogs ? that seems fair for good shooting. you can pm me here at this account . thanks. marty

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.