I'm pulling my hair out

G

I\'m pulling my hair out

Just went to bore sight the new Winchester 300 WSM Cyote. Started at 50 yard to get on paper.....NEver happened. I was hitting below the target...So I crank the elevation all the way up and still hitting below the target. Stoped at GAnder mtn on the way home and the gunsmith told me I had the wron base on. He said they make a special base for the 300 WSM Winchester....The bases I have are leupold # 50023. Anyone have any idea?? Do I really have the wrong bases?

Also checked Leupold web site...Not sure what action to use Post 64 mod 70 Win short action...Win short action heavy

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Joe

Re: I\'m pulling my hair out

Yep, you have the wrong bases.The WSMs are an action all their own as exprienced by another LRH member with a replacement stock a week or so ago.

Chris,
I read and re-read your answer on the bases and I am still puzzled a little.
Being "lablover" didn't state what scope he was using it would be hard accertain if the bases were not the right one's.
For instance, I have the right bases for my 700, but when the Leupold 8.5 x 25 is mounted, the rifle is shooting 4" low @100 (with adjustment turned all the way up). So I shimmed the rear base and it works great now.
Maybe I am all wet on this one....maybe the receivers are drilled different.
Would like to know for sure.
------------
Zod

Zod,
I'm not saying it's impossible but in close to a 1000 scopes I have mounted, I have never needed to shim the rear to get a hundred yard zero with any scope.
The base generally doesn't have anything to do with scope selection. The ring heigth is related to scope selection.
In my professional opinion, you also have the wrong bases if you had to shim to get a 100 yard zero.
What bases are you using?

The Win WSMs are a "medium" length action is why the require a special base.

Yup

It was the base

Thanks guys...Whew...I can now re-grow hair
smile.gif

Joe

It's not really clear "to me" what the exact diference between the WSM action and the standard SA. Could someone explain exactly how this affects the base?

Is the rear receiver ring/bridge higher on the WSM action?

Do they retain the same hole spacing which allows them to be tightend down, but the rear sets too high if using a standard SA base on the WSM because it's a thicker base?

I would assume that the ring bores would have been off axis if this were the case.

Did it damage the scope tube at all?

I still cant find the right base...Everyone is telling me the action is the same as a short action

So, once again..The hair is all gone.

Can anyone help?

Joe

So, I just got off the phone with winchester...They said call leupold...I called leupold..They said I had to shim the base. It's common they said for winchester and remingtons.

Not sure I like either answer. Winchester said try weaver bases.

Please help

Joe

Are you trying to find a one peice or two peice base? When i bought my m70 coyote in 270 WSM, i bought a one peice leupold base for short action m70, but it was obviously too short and i just took it back. I bought regular 2 peice leupold bases for m70 and mounted my zeiss conquest 4.4-14x44 in leupold rings. It zeroed no problem at 100 and i believe it was relatively close to the middle of the scopes adjustment. Hope this helps. I still havent seen a one peice base for model 70 WSM length actions. I wouldnt reccoment shimming. Just get the regular 2 peice or try to find something else that works.

BTW, let me know how the coyote does once you get some glass on it. Im pretty pleased with mine.

Oh

@ or 1 piece is fine. Just something that works. I tried the Weaver bases and rings...Seem to work. I just dont like them. Are they worth a poop?

Joe

Just thought of something..If the weaver worked...Why not the leupold. Could this one set of bases I got be screwed up ya think?

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.