I'm new, did i mess up my barrel?

Wipe Out will remove the copper, and every so often I use Sweets 7.62 to remove everything else Wipe out leaves behind.. Like was mentioned before, be careful with Sweets, I believe the directions say not to leave it in the barrel for more than 15 minutes.

Thanks for all the help, all i could find was sweets so i put in a wet patch, then brushed with sweets on the brush a couple times then waited 10 min and alternated wet and dry about 10 times and then 6 dry patches to clean it out. and then some carb cleaner in the barrel followed with more dry patches with one final patch of oil.

not seeing any copper in the barrel now!!

so now i can load up a few and see how it shoots tomorrow. i have to boretech eliminator comming for next time though. thanks again.

Get some Bore Tech and/or Wipeout. They are the best period and they will not harm your bore like some others might. I have used most of the others and they will leave stubborn copper in the barrel. Bore tech is more labor intensive than Wipeout, but works a lot quicker and a bottle will last a long time.

went and shot today and it seems it helped the .270. worked up from 56 to 58g of rl-19 with hndy 140g btsp and 58g came in at .3 with 3 shots. also shot the hndy light mags 140g btsp and it shot .2 with 3shots. so its still shooting good

Another recomendation for Wipe Out. Make sure you are not using a brass jag to push your patches. Use something like the Bore Tech Proof Positive jags for copper removing solvents.

I was re-reading this thread. i don't see where you used anything stronger than xyz juice and patches....or Wipeout.

It is simple.

If you have fired a bunch of rounds down the tube, especialy a factory tube, you will have some carbon fouling. There is no cleaning jucie that cleans, removes, disolves, or does ANYTHING to carbon. Carbon needs to be physicly scrubbed out of the bore with either wet bronze brushes or IASSO/JBBore Paste. More often than not you will have copper under the carbon...or many layers of both.

Eventially, the carbon thing will catch up to you. Degridation of accuracy at best.....unexpained PSI trouble at worst.

I was re-reading this thread. i don't see where you used anything stronger than xyz juice and patches....or Wipeout.

It is simple.

If you have fired a bunch of rounds down the tube, especialy a factory tube, you will have some carbon fouling. There is no cleaning jucie that cleans, removes, disolves, or does ANYTHING to carbon. Carbon needs to be physicly scrubbed out of the bore with either wet bronze brushes or IASSO/JBBore Paste. More often than not you will have copper under the carbon...or many layers of both.

Eventially, the carbon thing will catch up to you. Degridation of accuracy at best.....unexpained PSI trouble at worst.

While using the sweets I used a bronze brush with sweets on it about 20 times let sit then alternated wet and dry patches. Followed by several dry patches. Then cleaned with carb cleaner to make sure I got all the sweets out. Then repeated that process. Hope this clears this up. Oh and I put a patch with oil before sticking back in the safe

It is simple.

Wipeout virtually eliminates all copper and carbon fouling. I have confirmed this with a local gunsmith and his borescope on a couple of occasions. He said my bores were the about the cleanest he had ever seen and he has seen a whole lot of barrels. He said there was a trace of carbon left. Some carbon fouling on the metal can be a good thing. Read Lija's thoughts on barrel break in. There are several Bore tech products. Eliminator removes both Copper and Carbon. When I use this, my first couple of patches are usually black, then turn to purple, then blue, showing the majority of carbon is layered down on the copper. Bore Tech also makes CU+2 for copper and C4 for carbon.

You don't really need to do a lot of scrubbing to get carbon out and I will never put another bronze brush down one of my bores again.

While using the sweets I used a bronze brush with sweets on it about 20 times let sit then alternated wet and dry patches. Followed by several dry patches. Then cleaned with carb cleaner to make sure I got all the sweets out. Then repeated that process. Hope this clears this up. Oh and I put a patch with oil before sticking back in the safe

Ok..I must have missed that. The brushing will zapp most of the carbon. The only issue with the sweets/BRONZE brush combo is that sweets reacts with bronze like it does copper....it will turn blue/purple....giving you a false positive for copper. I (bronze) brush with Butches/shooters choice/ whatever, clean it out good , and then patch in the copper solvent, or NYLON BRUSH , and let sit for 10 - 15 min. If you get blue on your patches when you clean it out , you still got copper. I use brake cleaner when done, but I am sure that carb cleaner would be every bit as good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.