I'm new, did i mess up my barrel?

Abolt

Hey everybody, I'm 25 now and have been hunting with a rifle for about the past 12 years. however recently i've tried stretching out my shots further, not far for most but im still learning, just 500-600 yds with my .270 and 300 wsm. in the past the only way i knew how to clean my barrel was with a 3 piece rod and hopps 9. however i recently got a tipton rod and jags and bore guide and am using hopps copper solvant. I just cleaned my barrels and ran about 100 patches through each alternating between wet and dry. after that many i was still getting some blue on the dry patch. after i was done i looked at the end of the barrel and i could see what looked like copper streaks down the barrel. i never remember seeings these before however i don't ever remember looking for them. did i mess up my barrel or is this normal? thanks and here is a picture of what i saw. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• i phone 133.jpg
    i phone 133.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 110
Those streaks are copper deposits, your copper remover isnt doing a very good job at removing the copper. If you can find some, get a bottle of boretech eliminator, best i have found with KG-12 a close second. If you cant get any then try letting your hoppes copper remover sit in the barrel for 10 mins, dry patch, wet patch, let sit for 10 min, dry patch, wet patch. Repeat the process until patches come out the same color they went in and inspect the end of the barrel for copper streaks.

It looks like you have some copper build up need some sweet 7.62 or CR-10 run a patch up and down around twenty times and wait around five minutes. Then run a bronze brush up and down around twenty times. Then swab out barrel it should come out clean. If not do it again

Nope. Your barrel is just not clean yet. Try using a nylon brush and let your cleaner of choice (I like boretech eleminator) soak for a few minutes before running the brush through a few times, then a patch. It may take a while on a factory barrel that has never been completely cleaned.

Edit. Ha you guys you type faster than me.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try to pick up some this weekend. both the .270 and the 300 wsm are factory a-bolt medallions with the only thing done is the triggers to 2.5 lbs. I was worried i messed somtheing up and was going to kick my self. the 270 will shot a .249 3 shot with hndy lt.mag 140g btsp and the 300 will shoot .47 3 shot with federal premium with barns 165g. both at 100yds My fiance got me everthing i need to start reloading for christmas so i hope to tighten these up with reloads. Thanks again.

While you're waiting to get the other copper solvents, apply a good amount of the Hoppes with a nylon bore brush so the bore is good and wet then stand it up in the corner (muzzle down) overnight. Make sure to put something under the muzzle to soak up the solvent that runs out. You should see lots of blue when you patch it the next day. Hoppes isn't really aggresive but works good if you let it soak and it won't hirt the bore to leave it soak like some of the others will.

You may have to have the bore tech eliminator shipped so while you wait you could use CR-10, the barnes copper solvent, or Sweets 7.62. If you use either of those two be careful to follow the instructions and totally remove the product when done. They contain ammonia and can etch the barrel if any traces are left in bore. Barnes recommends using CRC brake clean in the green can to neutralize and remove all solvent.

link to Sinclair international - bore tech eliminator:

Bore Tech Eliminator | Sinclair Intl

Pretty typical on factory barrels, One thing you might want to check is have someone w/ a borescope to look inside to see if there is any rust. If there is then yes you ruin the barrel, from improper cleaning or storage. I've seen this many times w/ blued barrels. Also a 3 piece aluminum rod can damage the barrel quickly if carbon and dirt gets in the joints. Did you use a bore guide? Also if you didn't let it cool completely after 3 shots you can burn the small barrels with those cartridges easily.
Also your rifles are hunting rifles not target rifles so treat them that way, don't shoot targets constantly with them, find a load and put them away, after properly coating the insides w/ oil, then don't forget to patch them dry before shooting again.

thanks again for the help, i think i saw some boretech eliminator in the small gun shop here in town, i'll try to pick some up today. I did let some of the hoppes sit in the barrel over night and had lots of blue come out. i will let it sit agian throughout the day and then use the bore tech eliminator probally tomorrow. if i didn't mess them up last night then they should be good to go they both shot good last weekend so hopefully next weekend i can start working up a load for them. thanks again.

If a factory bbl..hell, ANY bbl, is that bad, I skip all of the copper juices and go strait to the IASSO or JB paste. FINISH with the stronger copper juice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.