I'll bet somebody knows the answer to this.

G

I\'ll bet somebody knows the answer to this.

I am doing some load development right now. I am shooting a .264 with A-max bullets aginst the lands. What I am noticing is that as I vary my loads I am ALWAYS getting 2 shots hooked together and the 3rd flying away from the group. Varying the load will bring the 3rd shot in with the others.
What I am wondering though,could I control the dispersion by seating depth instead.
Or is this just another situation where there are not any typical circumstances, and all guns will react differently?
If the dispersion can be controlled by seating depth I think I may have a pretty consistent powder range to work with.

Re: I\'ll bet somebody knows the answer to this.

frankg

when you say away from the group are the vertical, horizontal or no set pattern?

Vertical will normally mean come up or down on powder, you are off the tuning node.

Horizontal is wind.

Check the bedding also.

BH

What do you get with a 10 shot group? How long between shots? Is the barrel heating up?

I would say almost all verticle,with the 3rd shot in the same place relative to the other shots.I havn't tried 10 shots with this powder yet.From what I am hearing I need to keep testing with the powder and get a more consistent pattern.

As stated above, vertical stringing can be caused by a need to vary the powder charge, too much variance in your charges in any given string, or, could be due to an inconsistency in return to battery. With horizontal strings, it's usually wind or a heavy trigger, or, possibly, bedding. If you are getting a tight group with a triangular pattern, bbl harmonics are at play and you should vary your charge up and down 1/2gr at a time until you hit the sweet spot. Good luck.

TH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.