If you could only have one gun...

Only one rifle? Man I will have to give this some real serious thought by golly. I hope my wife don't read or get a hold on any of this forums posts.....I'll be in hot water for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I would have to pick my .338/300-Ultra wildcat as one gun to do it all. I reckon she would bring down and elephant using a 300 grain solid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If it absolutely had to be one rifle I would keep my Winchester 1895 in 30-06. I like my 338 RUM's also, along with the 8mm mag, 300 H&H, 6.5-06, 243, 358 STA, 375H&H, ect ect ect
etc. But my 95 has and can do it all for me, just not as far out as the others Any large game with in 250
yards can be had with it. It shoots 150-220 grain bullets into an inch@100 with hand loads.
Nathan

rfl_cal_bullet_416.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you had to limit yourself to one gun (rifle or handgun) for all of your hunting, what would it be and why?

I would choose my 338RUM. It is a sporter weight Rem 700, is ported and Duracoated with a laminated stock. It shoots half inch at 100 yds with the 225AB and has mild recoil. It shoots flat trajectory and can be loaded with anything from a 180 gr ballistic tip for deer or antelope to a 275 gr A-frame for Kodiak bear. It is light enough to carry around all day, but just heavy enough to be stable on a rest. The scope is a Burris 4.5-15 ballistic plex. The low end is low enough for any close shot that might present itself and the high end is more than adequate for long shots. The scope has excellent clarity and brightness.

I would love to try it out on a big bear some day, and it certainly would not be out of place on an African safari (other than where there is a .40 cal minimum for the big stuff).

Let's hear from some of you other guys!
Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for me it is the 30-06 ( in a 24" tube ) it sure is not flashy nor ultra flat shooting so on and so forth. This cartridge has never ever let me down when I have done my part in the field. Has served me well on Deer ( bit too much power for deer if you ask me) Moose at normal ranges Black Bears over bait and hopefully Elk this this year. I like the 06 just for piece of mind when the general seasons overlap as they do here (Whitetail, Mule , Mooose, Elk) Covers all the bases with an accurate hand load, not the best at any one thing but sufficent for many tasks if one knows his limitations. Well time to throw some moose steaks on the grill.

I'm with Hypersonic and some others on this one about the 30-06. The original post was one gun for everything, so that's my choice. There's so many different 06 loads to choose from, and it's versatility for just about any kind of small or large game, if necessary.

How about - only one kind of pistol, one kind of shotgun and one kind of rifle?

I'm brand new here so be easy on me. Of all the rifles and calibers I own my favorite is still my 1895 Marlin in 45-70. I've shot everything from a 156 grain round ball to a 596 grain teflon patch bullet through it. I've never had to shoot anything more than once to kill it with that rifle. Dave

My "one-gun battery" would probably be my Remington Model 721 in .30 Cody Express (.30-416 Rigby Ackley Improved). Sure, it's heavy (about 40 pounds in its current configuration), but it'll take anything on this planet with the right load, and it's a great long-range target gun to boot.

If I had to stick to a factory rifle, it'd be the nearest ballistic equivalent; most likely a .30-378 Weatherby Magnum or, if you count proprietary ammo along with factory stuff, a 7.82mm Lazzeroni Warbird.

--JKO

I would have to go with a mauser 98 in .35 Whelen easy to make cases out of 30-06 down load with pistol bullets , deer size game with 180 grs or 250 will do nicely for big tough game /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lets see: what rifle has been combat proven in Nam, works in the rain, mud, snow and sand, has won Perry, can make it to 1,000 yds, has ample spare parts, can be fitted with a Gen 3 scope mount, can use 30 round magazines, reloading components on the shelf everywhere, can be used at close and longer ranges for MOD, MOM or MOA hits and is being reactivated for combat in Iraq because of one round stopping power with the correct bthp ammo? You tell me but for me and this house we depend upon the NM M1A. Overbore