If varmints are considered, then:

223 Rem

308 Win

338 Lapua

Otherwise:

260 Rem

308 Win

338 Lapua

If the military is using these, there is always a chance that one can get that ammo, regardless of what.

Peter

If Hillary Clinton or Barak Obama are in office...
9mm-MP5
5.56-M4 or 249carbine
7.62-SASS or M14
To fight off the communists who are taking the rest of the guns from my house!

All kidding aside...
.223-critters
30-06-everything else
.338Edge-for long range and just so dang fun to shoot!

This may be cheating a bit but

1. A .338 Snipe-Tac. For Moose and anything smaller

2. A Custom .50 BMG repeating boltgun Mcbros action and stock w 36" barrel made by Vandyke Rifles/Or my M82, tough call. For anything bigger than Moose

3. An Anzion Ironworks 20mm mag fed rifle (with 14.5 and 20-50 conversion kit). For anything that the .50 BMG wont take down and for extreme range capability

3 calibres of rifles

Hi I have done just that for ease of registration and storage I also have my target rifles and 22's and shotguns.

So here is what I did after a lot of rethinking and looking at ballistics.

For varmint shooting here I have a Rem VLS that was a 243 that I rechambered to 6mmBR and cut the factory barrel to 22"the rifle has a 8X56 Kahles scope so its great for shooting under lights at night.

For a walk around/motorbike/car based all around deer and feral pest destruction rifle I had a 308 and have up graded to a Rem model7 in 7mmSAUM with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40 with Boon and crocket reticle. immaking a folding stock for it at the moment.

The third rifle is for long range its a 338WBX on a Lawton 7000 with folding A5L stock and I am waiting for the 5 shot detachable mags to bed it them I will fit a Nightforce NXS 8-32 power scope.

Cheers Bill
Australia

My 6.5 WSM for deer size stuff near and far.
My 30-06AI for sentimental reasons.
My 338 RUM because it shoots tiny groups and delivers a helluva punch as far away as I can shoot straight.

Ruger 10/22 .22LR (cause I have killed more critters with this cartidge than all my others combined.)

S&W 629 .44 mag. (next to the bed)

338 AM (for anything the first two couldn't handle)

Keeping in mind that this is a big game list...

1.) 25-06
2.) 300 RUM
3.) 375 APS (just because I already have a 300 RUM, and the 338 is too close in caliber, so I got to go with the 375).

EZ

260 AI walkabout deer gun

My custom 300 Rum

a shorty barreled 375 h&H for big stuff in the brush :)

#4 would have to be a barrett 416

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.