idiots!!!!!

load

So yesterday my step son, a friend and I went to our favorite spot to shoot long range as there is multiple places to shoot out to 1000+ yrds and even out to 1760. :Dthe place was crowded with most shooting stations being occupied. two spots were open one good out to 400 yrds and the other out to 1000. so we chose the 1000 yrd spot incidently on the far north of the area opposite the other vacant spot to the south. we put on our orange and hiked out to the 1000 yrd plate and set up 12 water jugs then returned to the shooting location. my step son set out 12 more jugs from 30 to 150 yrds out for targets for the mini-14. we then began setting up our shots. while we were readying ourselfs a maroon colored hatch back pulls in the only other open slot and hopped out ars in hand and emptied their mags into the hillside. :rolleyes:we went back to shootin and i proceeded to cold bore the first jug with my semi-custom 8mm mauser. my friend missed slightly with his 300wm dew to a wind change and then destroyed the next two jugs. my step son opened up on the 3 closest with the ruger. :cool:while reloading and evaluating our shooting we noticed smoke coming from infront of the newest arivals with the ars.lightbulb there were at least 20 hot spots ranging from 30 yrds to 250 yrds out in front of the guys with the ars!!!! flames growing fast!!!!!!! gobbaling up junipers with 20 foot flames!!!!!! :rolleyes:the incenerary tracer shooting offenders called and waited for the authorities and we were all evacuated. however we made just enouph time to destroy the rest of the water jugs!!!!gun)

wish i had pictures

Last edited:
i'm sure they will.
and yes no one was hurt but there was a large group of family and friend skeet shooting close to were it happened that had to gather their little ones and skat fairly quickly

I wish they would make people pass a basic competency and safety test before getting a range key. We have guys who think it's fun to take there garbage from home and shoot it up and leave it strewn all over the range. I like blowing stuff up as much as the next guy but I've gone out and found computers and tv's laying in a pile. We also have the guys who think it is cool to shoot all the bolts out of the target frames or shoot the target frames with penetrators.

Hopefully they will hang a bill on them!!

People like that is why it is hard to find a place to shoot and why private land owners will not allow people to hunt!!!!!

In general I stay away from the "black gun crowd" because of just this type of situation.

here is a pic taken last year of were i was shooting. taken from were the family of skeet shooters were enjoying there time together. about 1/2 way to the people who started the fire from were we were.
the spot that burned was thick sage and sparse juniper
100_1807.jpg

we were shooting from well outside of the lower right hand corner of the picture to the left edge of the "y" shaped rock slide. there are 2 rocks with a steel plate between them directly on the left edge of the pic. this is were we place the first set of water jugs.

the area in the back ground of this vid is what was set on fire. this vid is shot from the same spot as the pic above. the target in the vid below is an 18"t x 32"w rock @ 800 yrds

Last edited:
+1 w/Boss Hoss and BB. In fact that's why I discontinued my membership with a local range I'd been a member of for 25 years. Just too many spray and play macho, don't know range edicate or safety types.

I hope the get a bill for it. Glad no one got hurt.

I just had an "idiot"experience. I belong to two local ranges. The one I really prefer is about a 45 minute drive. The "other" one is only about 15 minutes away and has a much higher density of idiots. I only needed to chronograph a hand full of rounds so I thought I could get by going to the closer range and save some drive time.

When I arrived at the rifle range, there was a single shooter with an AR15 on the right hand side of the range and a 4 people in a group on the left side. No one was shooting when I arrived. Total width of the firing line is only about 50 feet. I noticed a tarp covered with pistol brass about 20 yards in front of the firing line on the left side. As I am unloading my stuff, the guy with the AR begins to fire on the right side of the range. As I turned around with an arm load of gear, I see the 4 guys on the right side of the range 25 yards in front of the firing line picking up brass off their tarp! The amazing thing is that I was the only one who saw a thing wrong with this situation. Even the 4 guys down range seemed to have no issue with the guy firing an AR 25 yards behind them only 50 feet away!

I quickly loaded my stuff and left. I knew the club president was just across the range so I went a notified him. By the time he got back the tarp was put away and everyone "had no idea" what he was talking about.

I dropped my membership to this club. This is the second incident I have been witness to and I've had enough. I'll drive the extra half hour!

7mmsendaro, I'm in the same boat. The second range is about 25 miles further but, heck what ya gonna do...I'm not putting up with some of the BS at the closer range I cancelled my membership to. Stay safe.

We always brought a few trash cans and filled them up when we went shooting and the range was clear. Broken bottles are the worst...

And shooting NFA stuff usually draws a crowd and can cause a lot of safety issues. It was always easier to have a 'shoot' and take the range over for the day, with safety officers in charge.

(Rotating, of course, so they could shoot, too!)

We always brought a few trash cans and filled them up when we went shooting and the range was clear. Broken bottles are the worst...

Thanks for reminding everyone that their used targets need to be policed up and taken to the proper trash disposal site.

Never had any problems with broken glass or trash but, once in a while folks would forget and leave the target stand downrange so you'd wind up carrying your own and someone else's back to the shack.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.