Ideas for a scout rifle???

hhack

I have an 03 springfield action that was sporterized long ago or butchered whichever you prefer, that I would like to turn into a short and handy scout rifle. I am thinking something with a 17"-18" barrel in a lighter contour. I have never been able to get great accuracy out of the action but I would like to use it for something.

I would would like something light and handy with reasonable accuracy 50-125 yards with decent knock down power and at least 30 cal. Any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks,

I hate to say it and hope it does not offend but I have found the best way to improve the accuracy of an old mouser rifle is to sell it to someone who does not care about real accuracy and buy something else.
They are not the best platform when compared to the modern rifles and half the rifle shooting community are short range minute of dear hunters anyway. I decided a couple years back they just are not worth messing with now days, I certainly would not put money into one. "As is" or "someone else's". Just my opinion and I still have one old iron sighted behind the seat truck gun that I still love but again would not put money into.

Was the reciever tapped for scope bases? If not that can be done. Leupold makes a base. Cut the barrel at the length you desire and recrown. Give the bore a real soaking with wipe out forming bore cleaner using the entire can over several days.

You could even replace the sporterized stock with a boyds.

I did all of the above with mine and spent a total of $150. (It was already predrilled for bases)
It didn't shoot well till I switched to a flat base sierra and then it shot 1 MOA.

I feel you can have a nice looking rifle that shoots just fine for the distances you suggested for little money.

DSCF0002-1.jpg

The rifle right now is chambered in a 22-6mm the barrel is close to being done round count wise and the best five shot group I have ever got with it was just under 2" at 100 yards. So when the barrel goes I want to turn it into a scout rifle. What I am looking for here are cartridge/caliber ideas for when I re-barrel it.

To the previous posters I appreciate your comments and I agree that any mauser type old military action will never shoot very accurate by our standards. If it were in 30-06 I would cut the barrel recrown and leave it alone.

thanks,

Guess I missed the rebarreling part.... how about the 35 whelen? Or any other variants on the 30-06 case?
+1 on the whelen

Toss a 12-14" twist 35 cal. pipe on it and put as many speer 220's through it as you can find. rl15 is your friend here. The whelen will get you good velocity by 20" of barrel. With the big hole in the end you will be able to get away with a normal sporter contour and the weight will still be good.

I have a whelen in ruger m77 hawkeye. 22" pipe-- 2700 fps with a 220speer and 2" groups at 200 yards. I bought the rifle from my brother with ammo included; haven't even loaded for it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.