Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

I know guys here have been impressed with what a wolf will take, early on coyote rifles were used and everyone has had rifle built that has range and power, 6.5x284 is popular but the wolves are learning to stay out 800+ or stay down in the brush. Other than just dumb luck stumbling on them or getting a young one to call in you need range and power, if it won't knock a deer down hard at the given range it won't work well on wolf in my area!!

243 wssm, bolt action
the AR-10 in the .308 platform will get the job done, AR-10 is also available in a 6.8 with plenty of punch, good 3-400yd round
you may also look at 6.5 x 47 lapua bolt action
Not to nit-pick, but the 6.8 is the AR-15 platform.

ur right, my bad, had my mind on the .308. I am not sure how much benifit semi auto is for long range shooting (AR) your thoughts

Hi tkward, either of the calibers will do for long shots, it's always nice to have a quick follow up when needed. Dead Wolves count, wounded ones just get smarter. billygun)

If I wanted to use a AR 10 platform for wolf I'd go for one in 6.5 Creedmoor. You can reseach these a little and see why. They are very accurate and hold up well at long range. A .260 in one would be great as well, but I own a 6.5 Creedmoor in one so it get's my vote.:)
They will even kill Elk as long as you don't get crazy if your wanting to combine your hunt. I saw a video of someone shooting a bull Elk at 605yds with a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action. To me that is on the extreme side but that is just me, to each his own.
To give you a idea of what it can do, it has 1,000lbs of energy left at 600yrds with a 130gr bullet if I remember right. Compare it to a 300wm with 130gr bullet that has 1100lbs at 600yds according to Bob Forker's book on Ammo Ballistic's you can see it holds up well.
What ever you choose it will be the best for you I'm sure. Good luck and kill all the wolves you can :D

I have a DPMS .308 listed in the swap meet that would be almost perfect except they are heavy. Has a 19 rd mag (x4) and is a true 1/2 inch gun with 168 Sierras

I like the plus's of a good many suggested choices and think that an auto loader would sure be nice at close(450yd or less)ranger. I shot the 1st one w/ an sks and nocked it down 3 times and never found it.The last one with a TC P.H. 25-06 w/ 120gn sierra game king sp's and 350yds soon turned into 600yd's and the same results. As I over shot the 1st shot, the hits were in a moving target and i was a little nervus.What I'm getting at is the bullet choices.I think a 25-06 w/ a 100gn nosler BT would be the hide saver-knock the sfuffin' out round out to 650yd's.The deer I shot last year at 200yd's had a very small intrance and no exit hole and a basketball sized cavity full of mush for a chest.My 300 rum is not for hide hanging.what a messin yotes!

Not an AR but how about an M1a, they can be found in both .308 and .243 or rebarrel to a 7-08. SA offers bbls in 16,18.5, or 22in. and CMI has mags in 5,10,20,or 25 round. Add a McMillen fiberglass stock a good scope and you would be good to go. Or you could use open sights and still be good for longer shots than you might think (just ask some of the service rifle shooters).

I would get a Savage .308 and top it off with good clear glass.

But there others like 243
25/06
22 250
or you could try a 223 with a heavy bullet.

Second post on this thread. . .

First post said 270 Allen Magnum which is still my first choice

I've since added a Sig 556 shooting 77gr Bergers as the carry gun. Will take both with the LR rig in the back pack and the Sig @ the ready.

i'm having my winny 70 (7WSM) rebarreled in 7SAUM for my long range hunting /precision rifle, but i also plan to keep this in the truck in case i get the urge to take a long shot....

savage1.jpg

I hope your truck not stolen!.

I resently picked up a TCR-83 in 30-06 & a NIB 7mm 1 in 9 twist barrel for it.It's small for backpack carry and a tack driver out to the end of my front porch range(640 yrds).So,is there a 7mm bullet that has the pop at 500+ yrds and is easy on fur,a point made by our AK member?I see posts that name the bullet weight and maker but not the design(berger VLD?)(barnes TTX?).If anyone has a favorite hide saver I'd like to know about it.My hands on favorite is my TC Encore 25-06 with a 28'' 10 twist barrel and nosler 100 gr balistic tips and a nikon buckmaster that I can aford to replace if I break it.This Salmon River country is a rock pile! Has anyone tried the 7mm 120 gr VMAX on anything bigger then cayotes?? I'd like to see if they are as hide freindly as the 55gr 223 VMAX are from my AR or contender carbine. Happy hunting!!!

Idaho has had 2 seasons that I bought tags for and failed to make a clean kill on 2 wolves.That's not bragging,it's expressing why I'm asking about ammo.They are tough and i've passed on other oppertunities because I didn't trust the bullet to do the job without desroying the hide if I used the 300 rum.Preditor control is part of my job on a 7800 acre ranch. I'm sorry if my post affended anyone!