Ideal hunting rifle trigger pull??

[ QUOTE ]
If you take a 5 lb trigger on a 7 lb rifle, that 5 lb trigger pull will or can influence the rifles position at firing dramatically more then a 2.5 lb trigger would on the same rifle.

Do not get hung up on if a light trigger is more accurate then a heavy trigger here because that is not the point in any way.

Point is, the lighter the rifle is the more the rifles position will be influenced by the force needed to pull the trigger. The lighter and cleaner the trigger pull, the less the rifles position will be influenced by the trigger pull.

[/ QUOTE ]Are there contradictions in the above?

I'm talking about what trigger pull weight is easier to shoot a hand-held rifle more accurately by not disturbing the sight picture while the round's firing and the bullet's going down the barrel, not what trigger pull weight makes the rifle more inheirantly accurate when benched. Did I forget to cover this earlier? Guess so.... Sorry 'bout that.

I like 14oz on my hunting rigs,3oz on bench fired rigs,do you like red or blue? Ford or Chevy?What is most accurate for the individual is what it comes down to...What ever you can manage is fine with me...

[ QUOTE ]
I like 14oz on my hunting rigs,3oz on bench fired rigs,do you like red or blue? Ford or Chevy?What is most accurate for the individual is what it comes down to...What ever you can manage is fine with me...

[/ QUOTE ]

I did some great shooting off the hood of my 89 blue Ford ranger but didn't find the same accuracy of the green 2000 Ranger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In regards to your post, I have all factory "cleaned" 3lb pulls on my hunting rifles except for a last custom rifle I had built for antelope hunting. I had the Jewell trigger set at 2.5lbs for possible long range hunting.

Bart B,

Only a contradition if your looking for one which I am sure you are for some reason.

Not sure what you are reading but what I am saying is exactly what you are saying. No one has every said that a trigger pull of a certain weight more inherently accurate then another rifle with a different trigger pull, has nothing to do with inherent accuracy.

Has to do with how accurate the rifle can be shot by the hunter and thats it. Thats what I have been saying the whole time. The lighter the rifle, the easier it is to accurately shot that rifle with a lighter clean trigger pull.

The heavier the rifle, this is not as critical because the heavier rifle will resist movement more from the force needed to trip the trigger.

I am tiring quickly of this post, my opinion remains the same, I recommend between 2 and 3 lb triggers for big game rifles. My personal preference is in the 2 to 2.5 lb range. Other then that not sure what dead horse you are trying to beat but I think we have done enough beating on this one for sure.

Kirby Allen(50)

I understood what you meant, Kirby! I would have to agree with most of the guys here. 3 lbs crisp is pretty good for a hunting rig. I prefer 2 lbs myself. A light, crisp trigger pull can make the difference when you only have a couple of seconds to shoot as when a buck or bull stops in the only opening between trees that you have to shoot. At 3 pounds, you can press the trigger as soon as you have your sight picture and not have to worry about holding steady until the heavy trigger breaks. Creep is as bad or worse than a heavy trigger. I have killed 40 or so head of big game with all manner of triggers from horrible to wonderful, and I'll take a light crisp pull any day.

Kirby, I got it now. Thanks for reiterating using different words.

And I'm not looking for any contradiction. I did think I saw one. I made a mistake. Maybe you don't make mistakes.

Bart B,

Last time I attempted to walk on water I got wet as always, Just seems like you were pushing a point but if not, all is well on my end.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Last time I attempted to walk on water I got wet as always,

[/ QUOTE ]I, too used to get wet trying to walk on water. Then someone suggested I wait until it was frozen first. Works for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts