Ideal 1000yd Elk rifle?

soooooo this thread is a huge kick in the balls...im having a guy in butte mt build me a custom 300 win mag...heavy fluted barrel, break, all bedded, detach mag, off custom 700 action. and a Greybull stock...after some of my research i wanted a long range rifle 1200+ elk killer. its costing me around 2600$ for this rifle. am i going the wrong way?? this rifle is for me and my wife...so wanted "kick" minimal. now you all are saying stick with the 338's hmmm. like i said kick in the balls...

Infidel, I think it all depends on your situation and what else you are hunting. For Kdumph's situation, a 338 fits well because he also has a 7mag. He can tote the lighter 7mag around and when he decides to try an area that could create a longer range shot, he can tote the heavier 338. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 300. It will get you over 1,000 yards on pretty much any big game animal assuming you have a solid load for it. I think it is an excellent all-around choice, especially if your wife will be shooting it.

Once one compares case capacity, ease of getting factory cases and not having to form or buy wildcat cases, and long range capability it comes readily apparent the Accumark in 338-378 Weatherby really is the best value out there. Ease of dies, reloading and just outperformes all other factory cartridges. How can one beat a 250 gr High BC bullet at 3250? I considered one of the AP 338 mags but they only do 100 to 150 fps faster and at long range that is nothing. Plus he never responds to pm or emails. The Edge has a big following but they do not have brass at any of the retailers and is not quite what the 338-378 is. Your choices... spend alot of money on a "custom" or buy a Accumark that will shoot with a custom and be done with it.

I have had a couple 338 edges both shot great but both were too heavy and long for overall use. I now have a 338-378 accumark, put a farrell 20 moa base on it and a zeiss HD5 5-25x50 I am very pleased with the setup. It's running 300 gr smk's at 2920 fps out of the factory 26 inch barrel,plus brake.I am Running my rounds mag length at 3.8 . Very accurate .Haven't weighed it but the other accumark 338-378 I had I could carry on long hikes with no problem. It's pretty much everything I need. 300 gr bullets are the way to go they will easily surpass the 250's at long range.I could not get 2920 fps out of either one of my edges with a 30 inch barrel and running them as single shots. The 338-378 does this with only a 26 inch barrel and I could push the 300's even faster.

soooooo this thread is a huge kick in the balls...im having a guy in butte mt build me a custom 300 win mag...heavy fluted barrel, break, all bedded, detach mag, off custom 700 action. and a Greybull stock...after some of my research i wanted a long range rifle 1200+ elk killer. its costing me around 2600$ for this rifle. am i going the wrong way?? this rifle is for me and my wife...so wanted "kick" minimal. now you all are saying stick with the 338's hmmm. like i said kick in the balls...
H1000 or Retumbo with 230 Bergers, you'll be good to go. Don't sweat your decision. Shot placement is key in any caliber.

To the OP; Since you seem to be craving a 338 I will start there. I have shot and owned many. Both custom and factory rifles. If I was to look for the easiest most accurate solution for a .338, at 1000, for hunting, I would look no further than a 338 Lapua with H-1000 and a 300 gr Berger. We have stacked up plenty of elk in the 800 to 1000 yard range with that very combination, and some over 1100. Elk country can be windy and when going long the 300 gr bullets BC will serve you well. This combo has produced group averages below .5 moa at distances to 1500 yards from a good custom rifle prepared by someone that knows how to put one together. The Lapua brass is second to none, period. My last 338 LM brass with full house loads and 300 gr bullets were still shooting .5 moa at distance, with some having 15 firings.

Now, the rest of the story. I hunt elk extensively from long range. Sure there are shots at 1000 and beyond. But the shots at 1000 and longer are very limited. The reasons are, conditions for this type of shot are limited and in most cases you can get closer. The average shot where we hunt would be 600 to 800 yards with a few getting closer to 1000. Since you stated 1000 for your max I feel you should not over look what a 28 or 30" 300 win with the 215 Bergers will do. The .696 BC of this bullet at 3000 fps or over is a very hard combo to beat. Plus as stated you also have the option to go with the 230's with a .843 BC. My point is I am a huge 338 fan, but there are other good options. With powder supplies as they are the savings of 20+ grains per round will add up.

All that said if you are going past 1200 then by all means I like a .338 with a .338 bullet and that means a 300 gr. I don't see a reason to load a 300 magnum weight bullet in a 338. I choose to load .338 bullets in .338's for long range.

Jeff

Last edited:

I think you'll be ok....You don't HAVE to have a .338 to kill anything in North America. But alot of the guys on here seem to push that bullet diameter. 300 WM should do what you want it to. And if it won't, you could always have the chamber reamed to .300 Wby, .30-378 Wby, .30 STW, .300 RUM, or any of the other big bore .30's that will definitely reach on out there.

That's just simply my personal opinion.

And yes, I recently bought a used 700 .338 WinMag with intentions of using everything, but the barrel, and rebarreling it to a lightweight .257 Wby Mag for whitetails. The price was too low for me to pass up. I have no need for a .338 caliber anything here in Alabama.

I am not downing the .338 calibers, It just seems like alot of people think you have to have the biggest of everything to do anything. I'll admit it, I've been through that phase in my life, but I have come to realize that shot placement is more important than anything, with kinetic energy and proper bullet selection and expansion tying for 2nd place.

Once again, simply my opinions.

Once one compares case capacity, ease of getting factory cases and not having to form or buy wildcat cases, and long range capability it comes readily apparent the Accumark in 338-378 Weatherby really is the best value out there. Ease of dies, reloading and just outperformes all other factory cartridges. How can one beat a 250 gr High BC bullet at 3250? I considered one of the AP 338 mags but they only do 100 to 150 fps faster and at long range that is nothing. Plus he never responds to pm or emails. The Edge has a big following but they do not have brass at any of the retailers and is not quite what the 338-378 is. Your choices... spend alot of money on a "custom" or buy a Accumark that will shoot with a custom and be done with it.

Good to see another Accumark fan on here. They really are the best factory-built rifles, IMO.

Mudrunner, may I ask some personal questions? I have read your choices in smaller calibers and understand what you like to portray. But to me it sounds more like justifying what you already have in calibers.

How far have you ever shot your long range rifles?

What is your longest big game kill?

Have you ever seen the difference of an impact at 1500 yards from a 7mm, or a 300 compared to a good 338?

Trust me when I tell you I have a 338 for a reason, the differences out there are not small. I am not saying the smaller caliber will not kill at these distances, but I have dialed in with the same conditions, shooting a good 7mm side by side with a good 338 and both using upper end BC's available for these calibers. The wind drift alone is large. So why is it so hard to understand? And doubt why people use 338's when going long? The differences are real and the statements are in most cases coming from people that have seen these differences many times. Not from shooters that simply want the biggest. If that was so, there would be more shooting 50's.

I am not trying to be rude, I wish we lived closer together. I would be glad to show you a comparison at 1500 from my front yard.

Respectfully

Jeff

Mudrunner, may I ask some personal questions? I have read your choices in smaller calibers and understand what you like to portray. But to me it sounds more like justifying what you already have in calibers.

How far have you ever shot your long range rifles?

What is your longest big game kill?

Have you ever seen the difference of an impact at 1500 yards from a 7mm, or a 300 compared to a good 338?

Trust me when I tell you I have a 338 for a reason, the differences out there are not small. I am not saying the smaller caliber will not kill at these distances, but I have dialed in with the same conditions, shooting a good 7mm side by side with a good 338 and both using upper end BC's available for these calibers. The wind drift alone is large. So why is it so hard to understand? And doubt why people use 338's when going long? The differences are real and the statements are in most cases coming from people that have seen these differences many times. Not from shooters that simply want the biggest. If that was so, there would be more shooting 50's.

I am not trying to be rude, I wish we lived closer together. I would be glad to show you a comparison at 1500 from my front yard.

Respectfully

Jeff
1000 yards is the longest range I have had access to. I have not setup anything further than that currently. As whitetial deer are my primary game of choice, I tend to use that as my comparison. I have shot whitetails ~700. We don't get super long deer shots around here unless you're hunting massive greenfields or power or natural gas lines. I appologise, if you seem to be under the impression I have shot 5000 yards with 1.25" caliber rifles, but that certainly is not my intentions to portray, other than what I actually know. You have shot further than I have, and you like big calibers for your own reasons. I don't discredit this known information. Facts are facts. I was pretty sure people are allowed to have their own opinions on things, and that that was what makes the world go round....But as you can see, I am not downing the .338, I am simply saying that I have no need for one, and that his .300 WM will probably be good for 1200 yards. Never killed an elk, so, got no clue on that, which is why I said "probably".

I won't pull any punches, and I won't try to BS you. I'm certainly not a keyboard jockey, either. I may not be as accomished as some of yall, and I don't get paid to shoot guns for a living and get tons of free high-end stuff either, I'm not some famous person...I certainly am a nobody....And that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm only here to help, get help, exchange information, and voice my opinion...Which is what internet forums are for. But I like to think that I do know somewhat what I talk about, despite my opinions being different from the general concensus. I was simply saying his original choice would probably work and that alot of yall use the .338's. I never said anything was better than anything...

And Jeff, I would love to go shoot 1500 yards with you. I bet in person we'd get along alot better than we do on here. LOL I'm pretty laid back and easy to get along with, but on here apparany I don't portray that, and I needed to clear that up. I never try to cause confrontation (except that 1 time, but that was in the past).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.