Idea for a new 6.5 wildcat for the new 160 gr Matrix

A 26 Nosler is about .020" larger in diameter and about .100" longer than a 7mm LRM.

a 6.5 LRM would be the same thing as a 26 Nosler except made from 375 ruger brass

I thought about this round before Nosler released anything about their version. I was merely stating the idea of a 6.5 LRM would be an ideal cartridge to push the Matrix 160 gr bullet to over 3100 fps with a mild load, the same for their 165 or 175 .270 bullets. Besides, the Nosler case has way too short of a neck for my taste.

After reading about the success shooters are having with the 6.5 SAUM pushing the 140 gr Berger, I started thinking about the new 160 Matrix. I'm thinging a 6.5-7 LRM will easily push the 160 to 3100-3150 fps, even in a 24" barrel. The brass isn't insanely priced, bullets are accessable, and a "common" powder like H1000 or Retumbo would be well utilized. Match that with a Suregon 1086 repeater, Brux barrel, Alpine Gunworks carbon stock, Timneny trigger, Nightforce ATACR, and a Thunderbeast surppressor.

This isn't something I'm planning on building anytime soon, just wanted to get some opinions.

You should have NO PROBLEM getting that velocity. I can exceed 3100' with my little SS case and 160's in a 26" barrel............Rich

If you want a screamer Kirby did his fast 6.5 on a necked down 338 RUM. It would be overbore but should get the 160 going fast. You could do it on a Dakota round too. Chuck at Mac guns may have a reamer of some sort. I may do the 300 Norma neck down to 6.5 for the 160's. Been necking it down to 7mm already. This was a good thread to start. Good Luck

Merry merry

Jeff

Why doesn't anyone do anything off the 338 Lapua case. It has slightly less case capacity than a 300 RUM case, which would still be more then enough, and you get the excellent quality brass and brass that is easy to get. Doesn't need to be improved but just a straight 6.5-338Lapua. Have a Remington LSS 300 winnie I just picked up for cheap that I can't figure out what to do with. Hmmm 6.5-338Lapua does have a nice ring to it.:cool:

You should have NO PROBLEM getting that velocity. I can exceed 3100' with my little SS case and 160's in a 26" barrel............Rich

I was thinking the same thing Rich, you beat me to the punch :cool:

Why doesn't anyone do anything off the 338 Lapua case. It has slightly less case capacity than a 300 RUM case, which would still be more then enough, and you get the excellent quality brass and brass that is easy to get. Doesn't need to be improved but just a straight 6.5-338Lapua. Have a Remington LSS 300 winnie I just picked up for cheap that I can't figure out what to do with. Hmmm 6.5-338Lapua does have a nice ring to it.:cool:

Interesting idea for sure, the Lapua brass would be a definite plus. My guess would be running "standard" 700 case head offerings keeps the user from buying a new bolt or modifying the existing one to Lapua diameter & modifying the action for the fatty Lapua case.

t

Making a Rem 700 work with the 338 Lapua case isn't to big of a deal. Have a 300AX on a Rem 700 that has worked out quite well. Certainly not as good as a custom receiver but I don't happen to have an extra one of those laying around and I do have a LA Rem 700 that is just begging to be turned into something fun.:D

Interesting idea for sure, the Lapua brass would be a definite plus. My guess would be running "standard" 700 case head offerings keeps the user from buying a new bolt or modifying the existing one to Lapua diameter & modifying the action for the fatty Lapua case.

t
That's it exactly. No bolt head mods. Minor feed lip mods. Can go back.

With Norma, LM or 500 jefferies based, no going back. Well unless you use a Weatherby action hehehe.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.