Idea for a new 6.5 wildcat for the new 160 gr Matrix

JARHEAD1371

After reading about the success shooters are having with the 6.5 SAUM pushing the 140 gr Berger, I started thinking about the new 160 Matrix. I'm thinging a 6.5-7 LRM will easily push the 160 to 3100-3150 fps, even in a 24" barrel. The brass isn't insanely priced, bullets are accessable, and a "common" powder like H1000 or Retumbo would be well utilized. Match that with a Suregon 1086 repeater, Brux barrel, Alpine Gunworks carbon stock, Timneny trigger, Nightforce ATACR, and a Thunderbeast surppressor.

This isn't something I'm planning on building anytime soon, just wanted to get some opinions.

I think gunwerks is working on something like this! 6.5 SLRM!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/6-5-slrm-121043/

The 6.5 SLRM is a short version of our 7LRM necked down to accept 6.5mm bullets. The design goal was 3050 with a 140 in a short action without high pressure loading. You can make this cartridge from RCM brass with a little work moving the shoulder back. We will probably test in "wildcat" state for another 6-8 months, then we will order up the correct brass.

I have essentially the same thing but mine is a 6.5-300wm. I shoot 3225fps with Retumbo (3290fps with R-33) and 140 Amax's in RWS cases which are notoriously slow but as tough as it get's. I have some cases with 5 or 6 solid ejector marks and the primer pockets are still tight. I just got some Nosler cases to see what it can do with Retumbo and R-33. H-1000 is a little fast for the case size and gives up some velocity. I'm pretty sure 3100+ is doable with 160's in a 26" barrel. Mine has a 28" Bartlein.

Their short version might push the 160 to 3000 fps, but that will probably be a hot load. I'm thinking about the full 6.5-7 LRM version to get the 160 to 3100 fps with a mild load. I didn't know they were working on a 6.5, thanks for passing it on.

I plan on getting 3400+ out of my 6.5 with the 160gr, I hope to try it this weekend if we don't get snow like they are talking.

Just so you guys are in the know, the 160 Matrix while awesome is a thick jacketed bullet and at some point it will not open, we're annealing the tips which seems to really improve how they open but little is know about the on game performance!

The 210 .30's are pretty inconsistent on game as well. I bought some tips to try and get them to open but I might try annealing them as well. Even at 100yds (3100fps MV) 9 out of 10 won't open in wet phone books.

The matrix bullet really interest me. I am thinking of the WSM case to reach 3100. are you guys looking to run hotter and allot faster hence the reason for the larger cases...Or do you need the bigger cases to get 3100.

For my application I think this is a excellent bullet. (competition)

I don't know what the WSM or SAUM cases will get to with the 160. If 3100 is possible with them, then 3100+ is easily done with the 6.5/7 LRM and a light load.

Just so you guys are in the know, the 160 Matrix while awesome is a thick jacketed bullet and at some point it will not open, we're annealing the tips which seems to really improve how they open but little is know about the on game performance!

I have read about some shooters annealing the tips. Do you know if a thinner jacketed 160's are in the works? Are you, or anyone you know, planning on using them on deer or antelope anytime soon?

I have read about some shooters annealing the tips. Do you know if a thinner jacketed 160's are in the works? Are you, or anyone you know, planning on using them on deer or antelope anytime soon?

The issue as I know it with the jacket is there are no jackets made long enough to make this bullet in 6.5 so it's a drawn down 30 cal jacket to get the length needed to make it so I don't know if a thinner jacket is possible.

We're going to light them up on some deer and elk and I think Rich has them loaded as well!

I get over 3000fps with 6.5 SAUM and 160 Matrix VLD in an 8 twist. Had trouble stabilizing in 8.5 twist.

I'm also intrigued by the thought of a 6.5 LRM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.