Idea for 25-06 load?

RangerBrad

Let me preface this with saying I know nothing about reloading however, let me fly this idea and see what yal think.

The idea is using hornadys superformance powder and bergers 115gr vld bullet.
I'm basing the idea that hornady advertises 200fps more velocity with their powder and berger advetises higher bc holding velocity over longer distance with greater terminal impact.

I am having my first long range rifle built on the Marlin MR-7 action as we speak and thought a load like this may make for a great round giving higher velocities providing flatter trajectories and increased energy down range. What say yal? Brad

I know as a kid I worked up a good load for 120 SGK with 52.8grn of IMR 4831. Couldn't begin to tell you a velocity as I did not have a chronograph at the time.

Tank

I love the 25-06!

Easily good on big mule deer out to 500 yds. Excellent high wind long range varmint cartrdge. I never got the velocities that Montana is getting, but I never tried RL17 in either of my 25-06's.?

I was getting 3600 with 85 ballistic tips, and 3200 with 115 ballistic tips using H4831 powder for both. I got alot of muzzle blast with the 85's, had to set the chrony about 20' away. Both loads were developed for best precision, rather than maximum velocity.

First one was a 26" heavy barrel Ruger. Eventually shot out the barrel after a few thousand rounds at prarie dogs. 2nd one is a 24" sporter weight remington. I am getting 3210 with 100 grn Barnes TSX factory ammo in it. I haven't handloaded much for this 2nd rifle yet.

25-06 = Good choice IMO,

I load 52 gr of IMR4350 with a 100 gr nosler Bal Tip at 3250 fps in a Weatherby Accumark with a 24 in barrel. It works good but plan on using the Berger 115 for my next loads to see if it can be better. Will keep youi posted.

Great come backs fellas. Another thing is the powder used for superformance loads is tempature insensitive so it's preformance should not change with tempature conditions. Brad

Let us know how the Superperformance stuff works out for you. I haven't seen any on the shelves yet?

I'd like to try some in my hightweight 25-06 too.

here is why I love my 25-06
25-0685GRBTIP4064500GRS.jpg

I love my weatherby ultralight in 25-06-- i tested many loads and bullets, i will first say i love berger bullets i use them in my 204 (35 gr), my 6.5x284 (140 gr) but my 25-06 likes barnes best (100 gr tsx 3300 fps)5 shot .25 inch and at 525 yrds 1.91 inch 5 shot. awesome shooter (49.5 gr h100v hybrid) mag primer.. my 6.5x284 loves rl 17 also 49.5 gr (140 gr vld 3085 fps) savage 111 LRH just ordered the vortex viper pst 6-24x50, have a 4.5-14 cds leupold. will transfer that scope to the new 204 i ordered (tc venture predator). also shot a 17 fireball in a cdl limited, toped with a monarch.

dennis.............

Wow fellas, I'm glad to see others like the 25-06 as well as I do. Okie2 that is a fine shooting rifle or maybe just some good Okie shooting:) (I grew up in Choctaw Ok.) I was able to pick up some of the superformance powder at the Tulsa gun show weekend before last. I can work up a load but got to wait till my rifle is out of the shop to try them out, I'll post some pics and let yal know how the load works out( Man, I can't wait it's going to be sweet) Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts