Idaho WT 4x4 680 Yards

HuntnID

Several years ago, my brother and I began the long range endeavor. It took us a while to become proficient and last season(2012) we set out with our new found skill....never got to use it because we got skunked for the most part. This year we gave it another go.

Saturday morning we got out onto a ridge just before sun up and began glassing. Right at first light, my brother motioned for me to come down. He pointed out a doe that he had just seen walk behind a tree. I got the spotting scope set up hoping a buck would follow her shortly. As the "doe" stepped out from behind the tree, a closer look revealed that it was a tall 4x4 buck.

My brother jumped being his rifle and I ranged the buck at 680 yards just as he bedded down out in the open. There was a full value wind approximately 3-4 miles per hour. I got him centered up in the spotting scope and after we checked and re-checked our adjustments, the buck jumped up.

My brother centered him in the cross hairs and sent a 300 grain SMK through his front side shoulder and he dropped like a rock.

I have to say that it is quite impressive to see a deer fall like that. I imagine he was dead before he even heard the gunshot.

We watched him for a bit to make sure he wasn't going anywhere then worked our way over to him.

My brother, the deer, and his rifle...
A Rem 700, PTG fluted bolt, with 30" Hart chambered in 338 Edge, HS Precision stock, with an older NF 5.5-22x50 on top. Shooting a 300 SMK at 2880(or close to)

This is the ridge we shot him from. We were sitting on top of the ride approximately 100 yards up the ridge from the rockslide.

I hope this works...in the process of acquiring the various long range equipment, I purchased a TinesUp Scope Cam adapter. We recorded the shot on the deer. I edited the video to save on upload time....additionally since it was our first long range deer, we were excited and several expletives were used and I rather keep them off of here. You can see the trajectory of the bullet up near stump. The video quality does not look very impressive like this. This is likely because there was not a lot of light and the brighter it is, the better the video.

[ame=http://youtu.be/pL89tXYk0iw]Deer 2013 680 yards - YouTube[/ame]

Really nice. The video is not all that bad. Been thinking of mounting a camera on my coyote rifle. Makes reliving the hunt more interesting.

It's funny how many people out west describe a whitetail rack like they do a mulie, in this case a 4x4, when normally it would be called an 8 pointer because a WT normally has brow points that are counted as the G1s. On the other side, since many mulies don't have brow points they are normally referred to like the OP did this WT. Anyway, it's a nice WT and quite a nice shot and video of the deer taking the bullet hard.

Good goin you guys. It does make one kinda smile when you realize all the practice has paid off when the first long range buck smacks the ground.

It's funny how many people out west describe a whitetail rack like they do a mulie, in this case a 4x4, when normally it would be called an 8 pointer because a WT normally has brow points that are counted as the G1s. On the other side, since many mulies don't have brow points they are normally referred to like the OP did this WT. Anyway, it's a nice WT and quite a nice shot and video of the deer taking the bullet hard.

I agree. To me it is either a 4x4 or a 4 point. When I watch hunting shows and they say 10 point or 8 point I always find myself thinking it'll have 8 or 10 on each side. It always makes me wonder why the variation in terminology occurred.

we don't call cars "2 wheelers." LOL. If it has a wheel, count it! Same for points! I never heard of a semi truck/trailer referred to as a "9 wheeler" no sir, they are 18 wheelers.

Westerners like to jip themselves. Then again, when I was in AZ in the 90s I was asked, "well, what do you call a spike? Spiked?" Answer, "no, a meat buck!"

Great shot and video. What did the 300gr SMK do to him? Did it pass thru on that angle?

I just recently shot a doe at 670 with the 300gr SMK, hit a little farther back than that though. Put a baseball size hole in the off side.

Great shot and pics. Congrats. What set up you using to film with (scope camera etc.) Good job never get enough of a 300 grain bullet hitting a animal. Nice looking rifle also.

it's the TinesUp ScopeCam adapter with just a regular Sony point and shoot digital camera. It works slick but is kinda light sensitive.

The bullet didnt destroy too much. I have a picture I'llpost later. There was a lot af damage but a lot of it cleaned up very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.