Idaho unit 76 etc

Snubbie

Trying to organize a DIY hunt for Fall 2012. Looking at area 76 but also 77,78,75 and 66A. Looks like all these areas have plenty of NF land. I've spent considerable time on the Idaho Fish & Game site. I chose this area because of the availability of public land and proximity to a major airport(SLC), also Idaho has tags available for sell as opposed to a draw system.

Anyone have any info as far as areas to hunt, areas to avoid, motels to base from, lots of other hunters? Is the area like most public land and a couple mile hike from the car will get some solitude from other hunters?, deer densities, vehicle access, is this a bad choice of hunt unit, etc.

Never done a west hunt but have done considerable looking into this area. Just nothing like first hand experience from someone who lives or hunts the areas. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hunted unit 76 for about 8 years up until the season close was moved from Nov. 15 to Oct. 30. Some of the best buck hunting I have ever enjoyed was in unit 76. The last week of the season in Nov. was really good and the deeper the snow the better.

The best buck taken from there was a 35 ½ inch 9 & 11 by one of the two fellas that I hunted with. We all saw better bucks and I missed the largest buck ever the last day of the last year the season ran that late in two feet of snow almost on top of Hyde Peak.

The two fellas that I used to hunt with spent a week in the same country two years ago and the only buck they saw was a small forked horn. They told me there was quad tracks right through some of the best buck country on the planet. There conclusion is that the place now sucks!

If you are looking for really good bucks there are better places but if you just want a buck probably any of the units will produce that.

there are still some good bucks that come out of these units every year but do to the amount of nonresident hunters in south eastern idaho and the lack of management from the fish and game i would look more at central idaho

Thanks for the replies.

kcebcj, I looked over this area(76) an noted that there were numerous roads, and where there were no roads listed on topo's, Google earth showed "tracks". Don't know if that is the quad tracks/trails you refer to but it does look like most of the land is accessable to vehicles. I was going to ask about moving north or NW toward Boise then bvb2508 responded.
So looking in that area, it appears Unit 39 gets a good numbers of hunters, I assume because of it's proximity to a major city.

Units 43 and 48 look interesting. Anyone have any thoughts or info on these two units for an out-of-stater? Appears to be lots of available public land and vehicle restrictions.

As I stated before, I don't mind hiking in a few miles before daylight and hunting hard all day if it will get me away from the crowds or closer to deer!

I hunt all over the state and can find decent deer, the motorized restricted areas are what id look in to, I get off the roads and away from people and seem to have pretty good luck, as stated before just because they gave restrictions doesn't mean every one obeys the law, I find areas to hunt you couldn't get an atv into if ya wanted too.

I killed a 170 inch buck last year in an area with alot of motorized access, and I could hear people driving around when I shot him. I went up for 2 days seenaround 30 deer and 3 where awesome bucks, when I got back to the trail where my 4 wheeler was parked a guy drove by and talked to me, he said he had been drivin that trail everyday for a week and only seem 2 does, and said he wished he would of been there when that buck was standing there :) I wasn't about to tell him I was walkin around up on top and seen several good bucks, I was in a basin about 500 yards from the trail and I've yet to see anyone get off there atv and walk up there

Look at areas that have high succes rates then get away from the roads, I would also invest in the book "Public Land Mulies" by David Long, it has alot of great advice and breaks down what kind of terrain and vegetation the deer will be in during different parts of the season

Good Luck!

With just a general tag there can be some decent hunting in unit 39. My experience from 10 or so years ago the country between the Middle and South Fork of the Boise River specifically around Sheep mountain above Alexander Flats can be exceptional if it has been snowing for a couple weeks or so and the migration has started out of the backcountry. They seem to hold their till heavy snow shoves them on down.

Also in 39 the head waters of the North Fork of the Boise River if the weather is fair. It can be accessed from the Gram trailhead. 4WD is mandatory and carry chains and shovels.

In unit 35 the Ten Mile drainage is another migration route and under the right conditions can be really good. The Ten Mile trailhead is a few miles above Lowman off to the right when heading towards Stanley. It takes weather but there are a few resident deer and elk especially high toward Grandjean.

Horses would be a big plus as the country is big but with weather the last couple weeks of the season day hunts can be quite rewarding.

This is secret stuff :) My signature picture was taken just above the Gram trailhead at the top of Johnson Creek.

With just a general tag there can be some decent hunting in unit 39. My experience from 10 or so years ago the country between the Middle and South Fork of the Boise River specifically around Sheep mountain above Alexander Flats can be exceptional if it has been snowing for a couple weeks or so and the migration has started out of the backcountry. They seem to hold their till heavy snow shoves them on down.

Also in 39 the head waters of the North Fork of the Boise River if the weather is fair. It can be accessed from the Gram trailhead. 4WD is mandatory and carry chains and shovels.

In unit 35 the Ten Mile drainage is another migration route and under the right conditions can be really good. The Ten Mile trailhead is a few miles above Lowman off to the right when heading towards Stanley. It takes weather but there are a few resident deer and elk especially high toward Grandjean.

Horses would be a big plus as the country is big but with weather the last couple weeks of the season day hunts can be quite rewarding.

This is secret stuff :) My signature picture was taken just above the Gram trailhead at the top of Johnson Creek.

Am I right in assuming that if we hunt in mid-late October, it will be before significant snowfall starts which drives the deer down to lower elevations? Therefore, if we come in that time frame we'll need to plan on hunting high?

Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably try the central region. Maybe try to draw a unit 44 hunt.(lots of luck for a non-resident, huh!)
BTW, thanks for the book recommendation, I have it on order.

I hope to glean some more "local wisdom" as far as terrain to hunt, ridge tops vs. creek bottoms, timber vs open, elevation, north or south slope etc. I've never hunted mulies but there is a big difference from our big woods eastern whitetails, if for no other reason than terrain.

I'm kind of lost as far as terrain type to seek out. Any pointers would be appreciated!:) Heck, I gotta start somewhere!
Thanks again.

The draw hunt for unit 44 is a early hunt and if you want to hunt early the back country in 39 should not be overlooked. Horses are a real plus in either unit.

If looking for a good head then either the black powder or rifle in unit 45. The Nov draw hunts in unit 18 & 22 are good choices anywhere on the west slopes above the Snake River. In November the weather can blow you right out of there.

Pick a unit, do the home work, go hunt, and in 30 years you will have it wired. I think nonresidents get 10% of the tags. Not sure???

The draw hunt for unit 44 is a early hunt and if you want to hunt early the back country in 39 should not be overlooked. Horses are a real plus in either unit.

If looking for a good head then either the black powder or rifle in unit 45. The Nov draw hunts in unit 18 & 22 are good choices anywhere on the west slopes above the Snake River. In November the weather can blow you right out of there.

Pick a unit, do the home work, go hunt, and in 30 years you will have it wired. I think nonresidents get 10% of the tags. Not sure???

30 years? LOL! That's where YOU come in!
Right now I think I'd apply for the draw in 44 or 39. Unlikely I'd draw but who knows? If that doesn't pan out then I suppose the general hunt in 39,43, or 48.
Horses are not an option, coming from NC. I'll have to hunt on foot. Backpacking in is a possibility, just depends on who comes with me.

Probably mid-October would be my choice(other than the early draw hunts) just because I suspect the weather can get pretty iffy by early Nov.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I do appreciate your imput. You've been a big help so far.

I drew an area 44 deer tag this year. Had very limited time to hunt. Almost did not even go. My cousin talked me into it. I shot the first buck I seen which was a decent 4 point. Deer hunting in Idaho is very poor due to poor management and wolves. If you want to hunt the west for mulies, I would consider Colorado and Utah. I have also seen huge mulies around Bishop, CA.
Good luck,
Kirk

I drew an area 44 deer tag this year. Had very limited time to hunt. Almost did not even go. My cousin talked me into it. I shot the first buck I seen which was a decent 4 point. Deer hunting in Idaho is very poor due to poor management and wolves. If you want to hunt the west for mulies, I would consider Colorado and Utah. I have also seen huge mulies around Bishop, CA.
Good luck,
Kirk

So maybe I'll buy a wolf tag!
Sounds like the problem we have in NC with whitetails. Very little meaningful habitat management and coyotes instead of wolves.
Lord willing and I'm able to make this trip, I'll definately buy a wolf tag.

So it appears units 44, 43, 48, 39 all have documented wolf pack populations. I'm not necessarily looking for a 180-200" monster(although that would be nice) just a respectable buck. May even backpack in a few days. So...

Are you saying it isn't worth the trip? Even though you drew a Unit 44 tag, which apparently is in high demand, and managed to shoot a buck right off?

Thanks for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.