Idaho unit 44 hunt

Discussion in 'West' started by retiredcpo, Sep 18, 2011.

1. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

Just got back from my unit 44 hunt
    Killed mine at 500 yards and my buddies at 200
    Saw over 150 head of elk. Theres a pack of wolves in there tried calling theey howled but never came out

Attached Files:

2. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

Nice deer and too bad you didn't get to see or shoot the wolves.

3. retiredcpo

We actually saw one a the day before opening and three weeks ago but could not get a shot off.
    there is a big black one in there he is preatty brave forest service guy says he sees him alot
    I would go back but I still have a cow elk and bear tag to fill
    retiredcpo

4. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Your killing me. Man I can't wait till my season starts in 18. Nice bucks by the way.

5. retiredcpo

screech
    Where you going to be hunting in 18.
    MY son and buddy have been baiting bears for a week now and we will all be up there chasing bears,whitetail and cow elk. our group has 5 whitetail tags 4 bear tags and three cow elk tags.
    Im going up this friday to check the bait this friday
    retiredcpo

6. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

looks like you had a good hunt but why in the world would you trade unit 18 for 44?....:>)

7. retiredcpo

kcebcj
    Really was just a spur of the moment thing. We allways put in for the buck tag in 18 and have never listed a second choice, we have heard alot about 44 so this year we put it as a second choice and we drew the dam thing.
    But it was good we have seen alot of new counrty ect. Saw ALOT of elk More in one area (approx 5 sq miles) than I have in years, We saw them everyday.
    rest assures Im going back to riggins this friday to check the bait site my son put guess we will see how well I taught him.
    retiredcpo

8. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

retiredcpo

I don’t know about 18 this year but here in unit 13 there are a lot of bear. At least once a week there is one in the yard. Just awhile back a big cinnamon boar was right in front of the barn. The dogs took him out of here. Lots of fun seeing them! I have never shot or ate bear. One elk keeps me in meat for a year so no need to hunt bear.

9. retiredcpo

kcebcj
    Bear breakfast sausage is some of the best stuff I have ever had.
    The first bear gets turn into that, If we get a second we do some steaks and roast.
    If you need someone to come up and take care of those bears for you well be right up.
    Ill be pasing through on the 7th to go see the daughter in Moscow
    retiredcpo