Idaho Spring Bear Hunt

ShooterMedic

Here are some Pictures from a bear hunt we did the weekend of may 21st and 22nd
We were north of Idaho City in an area I deer hunted the year before. On the Deer hunt we saw three bear, ten wolves and only two bucks in 7 days of hard hunting. We were able to harvest the deer. But we were more excited to come back and go bear hunting. And Yes I did have a wolf tag last year but the season was not open when we saw the wolves
We were hunting around 7000-8000 feet of elevation. We mostly were on four-wheelers trying to cover as much ground as possible. There are a lot of ATV trails that the bear were using as highways to get from point, A to point B.
We saw two bears in two days. The first was a thirty pound chocolate phase cub all by his lone some.
My bear we found eating dandelions in a small meadow, The shot was not a long shot by any means only 271 yds but on a 52 degree down angle. I ended up holding 1.8 MOA low on the bear and it found its mark.
DSC04244.jpg

DSC04249.jpg

I was shooting my T3 in 300 WSM Topped with a Konus M30 6.4-24X 44 Scope.
I loaded up some Nosler CT 180 gr with RL 17 68 gr going 3100 fps
They did a great job.
She measured 5'6 and about 300 lbs. When I checked her in with fish and game they figured she was around ten year old most of her teeth were very worn down. I will know for sure in about a month.
We ended up having to leave that night due to getting snowed out.
My dad went back up after the storm and he was into the bears thick he saw 7 in 2 days and with his 308 VTR got a bear at 476 yds. His was alittle bigger than mine. Go figure Can't wait till next year.

Congratulations, nice shooting especially at that angle and great looking bear. Thanks for sharing your story and pics.

Last edited:
Very nice. Congrays to you and your dad. Thats a pretty darn big she-bear! Ive seen a few up in the sawtooths, in country simmilar to the country you described an in your pics. Exelent adventure. Great story. Thanks for ''feeding the fire'' so to speak. I cant wait till August in Oregon!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful bear, and congrats. I went last year and i took my 7mm rem mag loaded with factory 160 grain winchester accubonds, we came across a large bear along the side of train tracks which was laser at 430 some odd yards i believe. We guessed the bear to be around 350 lbs. I set up, and was waiting for the bear to cross the tracks because it was on the wrong side. 10 minutes of watching and the bear finally stepped over and i flicked the safety off and held my breath. Just about to squeeze and 3 cubs came running out. Safety went back on and gun went away. This year im hopping for getting a chance at taking the father or another large bear. I just bought a 300. wsm myself and will be bringing this along.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.