Idaho Savage rifle builders

faciszewski

I just moved to Boise from WI. Had some great friends there that we shot long distance with and would like to meet some long range shooters in Idaho. Would also like to build a 6.5 X 284. Would anyone be interested in helping me in Idaho. I do have experience with building a 270 WSM.

There are couple of very good smiths in the area. Both are quite busy but I can lead you to either.

Also, there a few guys in the treasure valley who shoot often. I am sure they will chime in. I would love to shoot more but I don't have enough supplies to just go pound targets and rocks so my shooting is limited to mountain terrain where I hunt and when I am out scouting or hunting. I primarily bow hunt.

Do you have an action etc you want to rebarrel or start from scratch?

Yes, I have both a short and a long action that I could use. I was hoping to get into a group that enjoys building their own rifles as that is what I did in WI and really had a lot of fun and learned a lot about long range shooting.

Gotcha. This is one of the reasons I went with a Savage as well. Prefit barrels etc and do my own work. I don't have reamers etc but it is not that difficult to change triggers, bolts, bed stocks etc. I have not yet changed the barrels on any of my rifles but the 6.5 is probably close to needing the throat re-cut or install a new barrel. I have a 7-08 project on the bench as well that I would like to stick a LR barrel on and get rid of the axis stock.

I actually don't know any local Savage guys with the interest you have, so sorry, I am not being much help. Hope some local experts chime in for you.

Thanks Brent. I have rebarreled before so let me know if I can help you. I do have an action block, but always used my buddies nut wrench.

Thanks. I have both smooth and notched nut rifles. I don't have any of the tools yet. I can't decide if I should stick with the 6.5-284 or do a wildcat 6.5 such a the SAUM, WSM, SS, or SIN. It's just a wolf gun and the 284 seems to have enough to kill a dog a really really long way out.

Anyway, we should get together and have a beer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts