Idaho muzzleloader rifle

Muzzleloading in Idaho is still traditional. Must have open sights and exposed breech plug. Some of the new inlines are okay as long as when your cocked and locked the cap is exposed. I personally shoot a TC hawken in 54 cal and a TC firehawk inline in 54 cal. Sabots are prohibited.This applies to muzzleloader only hunts, I believe on the short range weapons hunts you can use a scoped inline of newer production.

I use a couple Remington 700ml .50 cal. muzzleloaders. I've taken elk out to 208yds with numerous in the high 100yd range. You need one with a #11 percussion cap nipple but all that is need to change a 209 primer version to #11 is the nipple. Both of mine are sub 1 1/2" @ 100yd guns.

Thanks for the information, looking at Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken Rifle in 54 cal. Any thought on this rifle.

Last edited:
Is there a reason to choose a traditional over a in-line? I've killed quite a few animals with my Renegade but I haven't hardly shot it since buying a in-line.

I wouldn't choose a .54 over a .50. There are double the bullet options for a .50. I've never seen a elk that knew the difference in the two anyway.

Wasn't sure you could use an inline in Idaho and like the looks of traditional. Have never shot black powder as in Wyoming it didn't give you any advantage to use black powder.

No reason you have to use a traditional style sidelock smoke pole, but if you use a inline the cap has to be exposed to the elements when your cocked and locked. I choose 54 cuz thats what I like but your right a 50 is just fine and I believe the minimum caliber you can shoot for elk..... 45 is minimum for deer.

When I said traditional I ment that on muzzleloader only hunts you have to have open sights, scopes are prohibited, sabots are prohibited, your projectile must fit within ten thousandths of the barrel or something like that, most conicals are okay, and of course the old patched round ball is good to go.

I personally shoot the power belts awesome accuracy in my two rifles followed by the TC maxi ball, but they quit makin them in 54 cal. Pellets are prohibited it must be loose powder or black powder substitute. I like triple 7, but pyrodex, or any of the modern substitutes are okay as long as your loading loose powder.

209 primers are prohibited.

There are some awesome muzzleloader only hunts in Idaho if ya can draw em.

After more research and your input went with two Traditions Evolution Tracker in line muzzle loader percussion style in 50 cal. I appreciate your input on this topic. Now just come show me how to shoot the thing and I will be ready to go Elk Hunting in Idaho.:)

After more research and your input went with two Traditions Evolution Tracker in line muzzle loader percussion style in 50 cal. I appreciate your input on this topic. Now just come show me how to shoot the thing and I will be ready to go Elk Hunting in Idaho.:)

It is really just the Traditions Evolution rifle with 24 in barrel.

It is really just the Traditions Evolution rifle with 24 in barrel.

Haha, their not that hard to figure out,

Practice doing everything the same everytime when you load em... Especially when seating your bullet over the powder.

you can switch the no 11 nipple out for a musket nipple and shoot musket caps if you want. Thats what I did I find it easier to hold on to when lowering into the breach. It about twice as big as a standard no 11 cap. Much easier to hold onto.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.