IDAHO-First Antelope Hunt Success

spotnstalkID

Hello all,

This is my first post on LRH. I have checked out the site several times in the past but just joined last week.

I was lucky this year and ended up with an antelope tag here in Idaho. First one in over 10 years of applying. I actually didn't even apply, I got lucky and grabbed the only leftover tag that went on sale first come/first served a couple weeks ago. Never hunted them before. My tag was for unit 76 (A unit I had never stepped foot in before). After looking over a few maps, talking with the conservation officer over there and trying to dig up as much info as I could, I headed out for eastern Idaho. With not much time to spend over there this fall, I headed out telling myself I would tag the first buck I had an opportunity at. At 10:00 the first morning I closed the deal on this guy. Not a monster by any stretch of the imagination but for my first lope and a "last minute" not much time to hunt hunt, I was happy with it.

What a blast hunting these things. I wish I had more time just to put on a few more stalks and take in the experience a little more. I am definitely hooked!

Jaxon

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 187
Congratulations.

I thought about trying it for about ten seconds and ruled it out, guess glory really does favor the bold.

Very Nice goat for the first. I have never drawn antelope in Idaho for rifle. that tag knows how to stay away from me. Have got one with a bow but still waiting for a gun kill. Congrats!! in My oppinion any goat is a great goat especially being so hard to draw for.

Thanks guys.

Shootermedic, I shot it with my .300 RUM with a 150 grn Barnes TTSX and 90 grains of H4831. Not sure on the exact yardage. My first (miss) shot was just under 400 yards, they ran a little and luckily stopped. With not much time to waste, I guessed them at that point to be between 425-450 and got lucky and dumped him.

Now I have to focus on my unit 39 early buck tag. The Trinity Ridge fire is burning everything around the area I was hoping to get to hunt. I had some pretty good luck in 2004 with the early 39 tag and was hoping to do it again, but we'll have to see what the fires do. I know the unit pretty well so I think it will all pan out but If anybody has any suggestions I'd be all ears... I know approx where the fires are and the road closures so far, but even with that, all the smoke is going to put a damper on glassing, etc.

Thanks again for the responces and good luck to all of you this fall.

Jaxon

Hope all goes well on your hunt. that also is a good one to draw. that fire does not seem to show any slowing down does it. That is some awsome country up there that is on fire. Sounds like you had a good draw year.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.