Idaho Elk Hunting???

just a little elk run in my new yard,what do you guys think?

01270910221.jpg

Chris,

What part of the Panhandle are you moving to? What has been said is pretty straight talk. There are elk here. There are 300+ bulls here, but not many of them. While the elk numbers and quality are OK it is in fact not like it was 10 years ago and especially not like it was 20 years ago. I am in the Couer D" Alene area and was born in Orofino.

I hope I didn't sound bitter. I was simply stating a fact. Like you said bulls rarely go over 300 in the panhandle. You kinda contradicted yourself by stating "beware of bitter people that say hunting here is not like the old days". So it's a fact that hunting here is not like it used to be because there was several bulls that would go over 300 and most of the time you could get to them within 2 miles of a road. Your right any elk is good but shooting a nice bull every year is and was better. Besides shooting calf's isn't gonna help the population. Theres plenty of elk in the panhandle just not alot of quality ones.

For what it's worth, no I wasn't referring to you linsmechanic. My point, being a recent transplant(5 years) is that so many long time residents get caught up on what was, when many of us coming from other states will find that this is a great place to hunt big game, even if it isn't what it once was. I get especially annoyed at the doomsday wolf folks. In 5 years I have noticed the effect of wolves on elk and very much would like to see us be able to thin the wolves, but I saw a HUGE impact on the muleys this last year due to just one winter. I hope we get a good winter survival for deer and elk and new laws to manage wolves. I'm rambling, so I'll sign off and just way welcome and enjoy!

just a little elk run in my new yard,what do you guys think?

01270910221.jpg
OK Chris, enough messing around, I think it is us here in the Panhandle who should be asking YOU where to elk hunt ! I am located in Sandpoint and there are lots of elk opportunities, though the largest numbers are South in the St Joe areas. You didn't mention whether you are North (Bonners Ferry) or South (Coeur d'Alene/Wallace)?

Hey guys, I thought I would wake this thread up again. I'm from the Flathead Valley in Montana, and I have some coat-tail relatives in the St.Marries ID area. Just wondering if anyone would like to share any info on elk hunting oppertunities up there. I'm going to start planning an elk hunt for the fall and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, I thought I would wake this thread up again. I'm from the Flathead Valley in Montana, and I have some coat-tail relatives in the St.Marries ID area. Just wondering if anyone would like to share any info on elk hunting oppertunities up there. I'm going to start planning an elk hunt for the fall and any input would be greatly appreciated.

The elk population around St. Maries (St. Joe River) was hit hard by the winter of 2007-2008. The arial survey conducted in February found 8 calves per 100 cows and as a result, the Idaho Fish and Game have drastically reduced the season. Elk hunting around there is hard even when times are good. Deer populations are way down as well. Unless you want to hunt for wolves, stay in Montana. You often see more elk in one day hunting in Montana than you will in a decade on the St. Joe.

Of course the wolves are no good. The winters here have been extreme lately. The population has almost doubled in the cda area and then you have the wolves. It's pretty tough lately here in northern idaho. To tell the truth I'm an Idaho native but probably won't be hunting here this year.

I received a notice from the Idaho F&G through a email that the wolves there are going to be subject to hunting this fall.

I have a friend who works in the state governmental offices that is going to push that they be part of the "Sportsman's" license. but at any rate it's good to see that there will be some sort of regulation that will keep them in check.

Between the harsh winter all of the elk and deer have experienced this past year it's nice to know that at least Idaho is willing to step-up and issue some tags for wolves to help the already bad situation out. :)

7mm magnum: It's glad to here somebody on the same page. I was a little close minded on the whole wolf thing a few years back until I got my @ss out there and did some observation for myself. What I found was almost disgusting. Lot's of dead elk up the Cda river that had there guts eaten and nothing else. What a shame. In 4-6 feet of snow after the rut elk are almost helpless and the harsh winter and extreme hunting pressure doesn't help. I guess to make everybody happy we don't need to wipe out the wolves, just control them. If we have another winter like the last 2, the wolves and the extreme hunting pressure I see no cow season next year and possibly draw on the bulls. This hasn't happended in decades to my knowledge, but it's coming.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.