Idaho Boar/Mouflon hunt results and pics..........

7RUMloader,

Yes the wind is a killer at extended ranges. Sounds like your getting pretty good performance. Holding 2/3 moa at 600 yards is nothing to sneeze at. Especially when two of the three are an inch apart.

One thing I have learned in my marriage to my lovely wife is that if you take care of her first, she will let you play afterwards!!!

No hurry, whenever your ready we will fit that 7mm RUM with a bit tighter bore and add a super charger to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Sounds good enough for me!! I guess the end result is all that matters anyway. That is a nice ram and great story. I think it would have taken me all day to write that. Keep us updated on the testing of these impressive rounds!!

B.J.

Great story Kirby. Thanks for sharing it. And you know me, I like the pictures almost as much as the story in almost any post.

I'm curious as to the thickness of the jacket on the wildcats and the point type. Were the points tight like SMKs? Also what is the velocity of those rounds at 920 and 610 yards?

4ked Horn,

I believe these bullets I am using right now are only around .020" thick in the jacket. The next batch I order will probably be built on a bit heavier jacket but them again, for deer I don't know if that is needed with the weight of the bullet.

Only place it would benefit is for close range impacts.

The Meplat is not closed quite as tight as the SMK, similiar but I would say slightly larger which is designed to aid in expansion at extreme range while still offering high B.C. values.

The load I used on this hunt is a realatively watered down load simply because I did not have the Full Length sizing dies in yet from Redding when I developed the load I was going to use for these last two hunt.

As such I was using a 270 WSM die to neck size only and with a case design with this extreme minimum body taper, if you run full tilt you will need to at least partially full length size the case.

As such I used a load of 100.0 gr of WC872 under the 169.5 gr ULD and lit with a Fed-215 primer. This load averages 3265 fps at the chrono.

At 610 yards it is still clipping along at just shy of 2500 fps with an energy of a tick over 2300 ft/lbs. Not to bad.

At 925 yards it is still at over 2100 fps with 1700 ft/lbs of energy.

From my testing this load will offer full expansion out to a full 1500 yards where it still has nearly 1000 ft/lbs of energy, plenty for deer size game with some bullet expansion.

Now, just before I left for this hunt, the Redding FL dies came in so I did some playing around to see how high the round would go with easy extraction using the full length sizing die and I was able to load up to 104.0 gr WC872 which topped 3400 fps in this rifle. This was a top working load and case life would be limited to three to four firings.

With this load at 610 yards you would have 2600 fps and over 2500 ft/lbs of energy. At 925 yards the bullet is still going over 2200 fps and has over 1850 ft/lbs of energy.

Again this is full tilt pressure with this load. I will use a top load of 103.0 gr when I get these rounds shot up and stay with that. That will produce velocities in the high 3300 fps range.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

Do you think you'll be able to get a few more firings @ 103 grains? As you would say "There are no flies on this round" even with the mild load. It may be worth making a few more clicks with knob to get longer case life.

Thanks for the info. I'll file this away while I patiently wait on my .270 AM to arrive!!

Thanks,
B.J.

Kirby,

Which Wildcat bullet would you use on elk? Would you use a thicker jacket along with bonded or just a thicker jacketed bullet?

B.J.,

I suspect that at 103.0 gr one should be able to get at least 4 firings per case and probably 5.

You are correct though, the increase in velocity is not really significant at extreme range but it does add a bit of range for proper bullet expansion as well as increasing your extreme range potential staying super sonic although not by a great deal.

Remember this is a Pac-Nor barrel. YOur barrel will be a 3 groove Lilja of the same 1-8 twist so hopefully it will produce even less pressure then the 6 groove Pac-Nor.

I am sure load data will have to be adjusted in some way with the Lilja so I will just wait and see what happens.

Will certainly keep you up to date with any load data I come up with in the Lilja pipes.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Boman,

Richard is waiting on some heavier 0.030" jackets that he is going to use to build some 150 to 160 gr Flat Base Bonded Cores in 257 and I believe he will be building a 170 or 180 gr of the same design for the 270.

Being shorter in length I would suspect that the heavier FB bullets will allow nearly the same velocity as the ULD bullets. Only issue will be the thicker jacket which always increases pressure some.

For elk I would recommend a bonded core with a 0.030" jacket with these bullet weights. YOu coudl go to the 0.040" jackets if you knew you were going to be taking shots under 200 yards but I suspect the 0.030" jackets will serve all needs better.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
Thanks for the info. I'm not all that familiar with his bullets. I think I may try some of his bullets in my .340wby now.. I wonder if I shouldn't get a heavier jacket for it?

Boman,

Richard just sent me some Bonded Core .338" FB 250 gr bullets to test out. THese are built on the 0.040" jacket. They are over at the shop right now but I will try to remember to bring them over later and take some pics and post them. Serious looking bullet but For anything but extreme close range shooting or extremely heavy game, I would bet Richard would recommend the 0.030" jacket for everything else.

Drop him an e-mail at [email protected] and ask Da Man his opinion. He is more then willing to offer all his experience. From what I have seen the 0.030" would be the jacket I would use in the medium 338 calibers like your Wby for any game from Moose on down.

If I were hunting Brown bears or Polar bears I would go up to the .040" jacket and probably up in bullet weight as well to the 275 gr.

For African heavy game I would also choose the .040" jacket.

Richard sent me a blank, unformed 0.065" thick jacket to look at, ain't much lead going to fit in that pill. Will post pics of that as well tonight or tomorrow.

Drop Richard an e-mail, great guy to talk with!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby.

I assume Richard has his crops in then? He said he is going to spend more time making bullets when that part of the farming was done. The reason I was asking about the jacket thickness is that I am going to have him build a deer bullet with a .030" jacket. He has said very positive things about the design we talked about and I'm anxious to shoot them at deer this coming season. We are planning on leaving the points open a tad as well for aiding expansion on deer and yonder chucks.

Got email from Richard yesterday.

Yup, crops are in. I think the bigger problem was getting jackets.

I've ordered some 270 140s that have been waiting for the jackets.

Also, he has some prototype 168 grainers that we're going play with w/1-10" twist at whatever velocity the Win can get them going.

Been raining so much here that I haven't pulled a trigger in weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Same rain here as well. Bad for shootin' but good for farmin'. Hope it fills the reservoirs.

Thanks for the info on the jackets. I will call or email him with a formal order soon.

Seacrest out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts