Idaho Area 44 deer hunt.........

Catahoula

Hey Guys,
I got lucky this year and drew a unit 44 deer tag. Anyone ever hunted deer there? Will also be looking for a bear. I have been in the area in the past and seen both big Mulies and several bears as well.
Thanks, Kirk

Hey Guys,
I got lucky this year and drew a unit 44 deer tag. Anyone ever hunted deer there? Will also be looking for a bear. I have been in the area in the past and seen both big Mulies and several bears as well.
Thanks, Kirk

Never hunted 44.

Question. How'd you come up with the moniker "Catahoula" I tho't I was one of the very few in Idaho that knows what a Catahoula is?:) Or maybe you spent time in Catahoula Parish?

Never hunted 44.

Question. How'd you come up with the moniker "Catahoula" I tho't I was one of the very few in Idaho that knows what a Catahoula is?:) Or maybe you spent time in Catahoula Parish?

Catahoula's are very popular dogs here in South Carolina for hog hunting, and then the cross bred of Cat's with Pit bull dogs,,,I should have a litter of the "Bull-Cats" in a few days!!!

Royinidaho...........

Sorry it took so long to reply. I work in Wyoming and only come home on weekends. I have been raising Catahoulas for about 15 years. They make great family pets and are hell on wheels for coyote calling dogs. I will never be without a Cur. Lately I have been bear hunting with them and they really like that.
Where are you in Idaho? I am in Idaho Falls.
Kirk

Kirk,

Roy is from Blackfoot, He's one heck of a nice guy. I think that he's in New Mexico for work at the moment.....

I've never hunted Area 44 either. I've heard that It holds some great muleys though. And should be fun.

I go back home every year and hunt with my Dad in Unit 76. I grew up in Soda Springs, but I've been living in Idaho Falls for 8 years now.

Dan

Kirk,

Yep I'm from Blkft though I'm in SLC untl spring '12.

We'll have to get together.

Are you're Catahoulas the blackmouth cur type or the colorful ones with glass eyes?

I've used them to herd cattle and sheep. Tree anything that will tree. Run coyotes to ground. Also did some hog dog trials and cattle trials in Conroe Texas. And just plain friends. Amazing animals. I've beat some world class border collies with one. It wasn't pretty but it got done.

I still know nothing about unit 44. Just go and shoot something.

Kirk,

Roy is from Blackfoot, He's one heck of a nice guy. I think that he's in New Mexico for work at the moment.....

I've never hunted Area 44 either. I've heard that It holds some great muleys though. And should be fun.

I go back home every year and hunt with my Dad in Unit 76. I grew up in Soda Springs, but I've been living in Idaho Falls for 8 years now.

Dan

Hey Dano1

Not trying to steal this thread but noticed you hunt in unit 76. I hunted the Stump Creek drainage and surrounding area all through the 80's when the season ran until Nov. 15. When they bumped the season back to Oct 30 quit going. One of the biggest bucks in 40 years of hunting was seen there. Missed him at 400+ yards moving 3 shots. The best buck between me and my two hunting partners was 33 inches. Don't remember the points but he was heavy.

Was wondering how you fellas do there now? It seemed the more snow the better it got. Used to see a few really good bulls also.

Anyway just curious.

Hi Jim,

I too hope that I'm not hijacking this thread.....Sorry Kirk!

I started hunting in 1988, I was 13 yrs Old (I'm just a youngster). I remember when we could hunt until mid November. My father speaks of it fondly. I remember seeing lots of big bucks and we used to have snow on the ground by the last week of October. Things really got exciting in November, and if you were lucky there would be snow that last week of October and you'd see some good bucks then.

That being said, the winter of 1992 Was really bad and prolonged. There was a severe winter kill that killed over half of the deer in unit 76. This combined with the zealous efforts of the Fish and Game (they had a extra doe tags both Fall of 1991 and 92) helped reduce the numbers of deer to really low levels. Even genitic traits that we saw prior to 1992 are no longer found in the area.

Unit 76 has some of the best access of all of the South East Idaho Areas. I'd say even too much. Fish and Game has finally gotten smart and put some heavy regulations on ATV use in Unti 76 and I hope that helps. There is entirely too much pressure in Unit 76.

The Good news is that I'm seeing more and more Mature bucks each year. The problem is that because there is so much pressure that The bucks go into hiding almost on opening day. The Season only runs from Oct 10th -Oct 24th, so no chance of rutting or pre-rutting bucks. And chance of Snow is pretty slim.

I have found that there is a certain way I can hunt this area, It involves patience and being able to make a 700yd shot. LOL....

Unit 76 is definately hard to hunt now... I have taken a few mature bucks, I have seen some true monsters, but I've only had the opportunity to take that 700yd shot once, 2 yrs ago. I missed. I didn't know enough about Long range hunting back then. Now I do. I'm ready for redemption!

Stump Creek still holds some really big deerr. Problem is that it's just north of the Smokey Canyon Mine. There are a lot of people who hunt stump creek after work. these guys live in Bear Lake County. I know a few of them.

I still hunt 76 so I guess that I'm being optimistic. It's tough going though.

Later,

Dan

Dan

Kirk last post I promise

The first year my buddy and I went into Stump Creek was I believe 1981. There was a outfitter in Afton Wyoming named Ted Hale that we knew and it was him that turned us on to Stump Creek. We hunted the last 10 days and even without knowing the country we were seeing 5-10 bucks each, every day. There were no other hunters there and for the following 5 or so years had it to ourselves. There were bucks everywhere if there was a foot or more snow and there always was by the time we got there. That monster buck I spoke of that I missed was just over the top of Hyde Mt. almost in Smith canyon. There was a solid 2 feet of snow and it was the 14 of Nov. If it was today I would have killed him the first shot.

A great place gone to hell. They need to get the quads out of there and make it a late tag draw.

Catahoula
Where have you been looking?
Most guys I have ran into or talked to are looking around smokey dome, solider mt,
north of hill city in the Access yes property and near the lower fram lands.
Me and my buddy drew this tag, we have never been in the unit before it has been a interesting summer looking it over lots of nice country.
I would take a wolf and bear tag as well. we have seen a wolf and lots of bear sign
Retiredcpo

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.