Ian M's Gun Guessing Game

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Ian asked me to post this picture. What kind of a gun is/was this?

first-blow.jpg

Since Mythbusters pretty much debunked the splitting barrel stories, (at least for the barrel end) this is going to be intriguing.

I was going to say an airgun, not a regular gun, since I see no powder residue as I would expect around a burst barrel if it was a powder gun.

However, it is a Savage Model something.

Bill

Last edited:
Is that a sight screw hole that initiated/divided (?) the split

Lot ot tooling marks visible in that Savage barrel, I'm somewhat surprised to see that... (They are however nice and evenly spaced.)

You guys are good...

How do you know it is a Savage? By the way, the rifle is in a holder, that is what the outer black sides are.

Now, what type of rifle is it:
Centerfire rifle or in-Line Muzzleloader

Get it right and Len might show another image of the complete rifle.

You guys are correct. Someone apparently loaned his Savage in-line to a friend who loaded it but did not fire a shot. Gave it back to the owner and he also loaded it, and fired it. Load was the standard charge of smokeless suggested by Savage, 250 grain sabotted bullet. Amazingly he is OK.
Perhaps Len can put up the other image I sent now, since you guys got it so quick. Good work. Buffalo, go to the back of the class...

second-blow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing muzzle loader, if it was a rifle I'd expect to be able to make out the twist on the rifling, since I can't I'm guessing it's a real slow twist, thus a smokepole.

oops too late.

It may just be me, but I believe it actually says SAVAGE on the side of the barrel just ahead of the scope. Am I reading that incorrectly?

Looks like a hole drilled to deep.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.