Ian McMurchy Has Passed Away!

I hope they come out with his new reticle then, i didnt know he was working on another one, the nikon BDC and the way he designed to find your correct drops really does work great.

I hope in the 09 Nikon flyer they say something about Ian's passing, it would be a good rememberance to him

Sorry to hear of this news today. I didn't know him but from artcles and stories, he was a hunting and shooting idol and will be missed.
Our prayers are with Ian's family and friends, never fun around the holidays.

To Ian's family: I hope that you are in some way comforted by the impact that Ian has had on so many who have never met him. A generous, knowledgeable and well respected gentlemen. May God comfort those left behind and may we all strive to live a life that positively impacts so many people! John S

Living in the same home town and shooting at the same range as Ian, I got to learn a great deal from him. When looking for a versatile rifle he talked me into the Pro Hunter, great choice. When you were at the range he would always walk up and chat about how things were going and if he could help with something. That always was the segway to talk hunting and he was always a treat to listen to his adventures. We have lost what I would call an Icon in our sport and he will truly be remembered as one.

Wow,
I havn't been on many message boards lately like I use to and decided to see what everyone was up to here on LRH. Not good news to recieve... though a little late for me.

I always evaluate people by the amount of respect they generate from other people around them and how much I have for them. Ian definitely was in the upper half of my list to say the least.
I missed meeting him at the SHOT show the year he had his big bear there. I walked right by his bear and didn't stop to read the tag. Only after I got back and saw the bear picture here on LRH did I realize it was Ian's bear and the opportunity I missed.

Rest in peace!

Steve

I didn't realize how long it had been since I had lurked on this site until I got your email tonight Len.

You and Ian were the two steady voices that I always looked up to, so much on this board.

Ian and I still swapped emails for some time after I quit posting a couple of years ago. Photography, Writing and of course rifles and hunting were the main topics.

He was a Mentor to many, and while I never met him in person, those of us who were blessed with his wisdom, love and understanding in email are truly richer in our lives for his presence.

Someday in the future, I am looking forward to finally getting to meet this great man, face to face, and share the great hunting grounds that he has now found.

Tim Behle

Another great man has gone on to the hunting grounds in the sky!

My condolences to his family and friends. I've been here on the board reading Ian's articles nearly since the beginning. His knowledge and friendliness are legendary.. he will be missed.

Jay Kyle

I too am saddened to here if Ian's passing. I always looked forward to Ian's writings and found them entertaining and educational.
Ken Frye

I am sorry to hear of his passing. I enjoyed reading his posts and writings and I hope his family finds peace and comfort soon. May God bless you, Ian.

I sat with Ian on a flight from the states to Canada on my way bear hunting about ten years ago. That 3 hour flight was very entertaining. Ian an I hit it off and talked guns, bullets, and reloading. He did not realize I was bow hunting until we went through customs. Ian introduced me and a customer of mine to Swift Scirocco bullets. We corresponded from time to time. I would put Ian in a class of outdoor writers with the likes of Bob Hagel, Elmer Keith, and Jim Carmichael.

Yes, he will be missed by those who knew him and by many who never had the honor to have known him. God rest his sole and may his shooting and hunting go on forever in the best hunting grounds ever.

Nat Lambeth

Last edited:
our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.and may the grandkids know what a great man he was! may the family keep his love for the outdoors going

I didn't know him but it always is saddening to lose good people. My condolences to the family.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.