I would like your opinion

midmo

I have been looking for a new rifle. What is you opinion on the remington 700 sps or other models and the tikka t3?

I have been looking for a new rifle. What is you opinion on the remington 700 sps or other models and the tikka t3?

I am a Remington lover from way back, and have a gun cabinet and safe nearly full of Remingtons, or customs built on Remingtons. I bought a new CDL in November, and was very disappointed with it. It found another zip code. The quality was aweful, and it shot that way too. Now, as far as the Tikkas, they are shooters, and quality is awesome. I do not own one, but there is one on my radar screen. Actions are smooth, barrels are smooth, and they shoot. I would go with the Tikka. If you are talking used, now, the older Remys are shooters still, and there are some good ones out there.

You might want to provide some context....

Do you currently own any rifles?

What do you want to shoot and how far?

Do you handload?

Do you plan to customize it?
Yourself? Or take it to a smith?

Do you have specific cartridges already in mind?

Do you already have optics?

What's your budget?

-- richard

ive had mixed luck with the newer rems. Ive got a 257wby cdl that will shoot moa with alot of loads. Ive got a sps in 06 that just may be the most accurate bolt gun ive ever owned. Ive shot 5 shot groups just over a 1/2 inch with it. Ive also got a 300 win mag sps stainless that is very finiky. most loads go around two inch but it will shoot 165 bts into close to an inch but it took alot of load developement and changing stocks and bedding and floating to get it there. I also recently had a 270 blued sps that was a dismal shooter. Im not a big fan of the 270 anyway and may not have given it a fair workout but after 4 sessions at the range it was traded off. I guess in my opinion, yes quality has gone down a bit with 700s. I can remember back 30 years ago. I dont think i ever had a 700 back then that wouldnt shoot moa.

If you truly are looking for a long range killer/shooter. The Remington Sendero is the way to go. Top quality parts coupled with Remington love is a winner winner chicken dinner. I own one in a 7 Ultra and I shot a whitetail buck at 650 last year. Not my longest kill, but fun none the less. One other thing to think about, if you are planning upgrades, the Remington platform is hard to beat. You can build almost anything off of it.

I agree that Tikka is a smooth shooting, fun gun. But if you are going to buy a Tikka, spend a little more and get the Sako.

I have had Remingtons for along time, and I have never had a bad one. I have had a Tikka and it was a turd. If I had it to do over, I would have bought the Sako.

In any event, get the one that you want. Not the one that someone else wants. Have fun with it and shoot it all the time. This sport rules!!

thanks for the responses guys! I like the tiikka i like the 700 more because its US. I am not sure if i will upgrade in the future but i don't like the thought of not being able to just incase. I am thinking about getting 30 06, maybe in left hand, i am left eye dominant but have been shooting right handed a lot longer than left handed.

You might want to provide some context....

Do you currently own any rifles?
marlin xl7 30 06

What do you want to shoot and how far?
-Im in Missouri, really only need 200 to 300 yards but I would like to travel in the future so not sure on distance.

Do you handload?
-no i want to start in the next few years

Do you plan to customize it?
-Not sure, if it shoots well out of the box then most likely not very much.
Yourself?

Or take it to a smith?
-i would like to do it myself but i don't have all the experience or tools.

Do you have specific cartridges already in mind?
-My marlin shoots 150's really well, but i would like the ability to shoot 165 or 180.

Do you already have optics?
-I will be getting new glass for this rifle i buy.

What's your budget?
-I am going to figure out what i want and then start saving, i would like to keep it under $1000 though, i thought about building a rifle but the price is hard to justify to my wife.

If you have any advice on which calibers or optics let me know I am learning as much as I can and would like to hear what everyone else knows.

Consider buying the 300 Win or 300 ultra. Both are very good and fun to shoot. They have both of them in Sendero's :D!! I have never been a fan of 30-06 (just my opinion). I think there are flatter, more efficient calibers out there.

Everybody will have a slightly different opinion. If you plan to alter it or get into long range shooting look at the rem. The actions are good and there is a huge availability of aftermarket parts and gunsmiths that work on them. I have a couple and they do well.
I also have 2 Tika T-3's. Love the light weight and smooth actions. Both shoot well. My 300 WSM will shoot a 3 shot group of 1 1/2 inches at 300 yards. Triggers are one of the best for a out of the box production rifle. You are limited by the lenght of the magazine. You can't run most bullets out to touch the lands and use it as a repeater. The cartridges made up that way are too long to fit into the clip. That's my biggest beef with them.
A 30-06 will take care of you for the shooting that you are doing now. You might consider a different caliber as you look to the future. If you see any long range shooting in the future you might think about something that shoots flatter and faster. Perhaps a 7mm or one of the fast .30's. If its only for deer look at one of the .26 caliber's. They will have less recoil than the 30-06 and will do as good of a job. With the new bullets in the 27 calibre it should also be considered. Good luck in your search. Bruce

How is 300 wsm? How is th barrel life? I don't know much about 300 winmag either. I was thinking if I went smaller I would maybe do 25 06 or 270. But I like what I here about 7mm.

My opinion, Look at the brownings. Hard to beet the quality and accuracy out of the box. I own several rifles, remingtons, savages,weatherby,browning. Like my 2 brownings the best 1 in 7mm08 1 in 325wsm, But I will say the 2 savage rifles I have both in 243 win are the most accurate factory rifles I have ever seen both would shoot 65 gr v max at .5 or less MOA 5 shots @ 100yds. Even better one of those savage 243's was a package gun savage offered years ago I bought it used for 200 bucks. now it's my barn gun hangs there all year just for chucks and rodents.
Good luck buying
What cal are you looking for?

How is 300 wsm? How is th barrel life? I don't know much about 300 winmag either. I was thinking if I went smaller I would maybe do 25 06 or 270. But I like what I here about 7mm.

Both 300's will give good barrel life and will allow you to expand to larger game and longer range as well. The WM will give around 50 fps over the WSM. You might also look at Howa as a good buy for the $$$$. They use Weatherby Vanguard actions and generally shoot quite well. I have shot Remingtons all my life but the newer ones are far less likely to shoot UNLESS you buy a Sendero and then you are looking at far more $$$$.........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.