I went up north to

I've got to say that you guys showed a lot of restraint with the "camp boss". I don't think I'd have been quite so cordial with him. Probably would have had a chat out behind the outhouse.;);)

Come on now, get to writing and posting some more pics. I know you've still got a lot left in ya.:)

By the third day

I've got to say that you guys showed a lot of restraint with the "camp boss". I don't think I'd have been quite so cordial with him. Probably would have had a chat out behind the outhouse.;);)

Come on now, get to writing and posting some more pics. I know you've still got a lot left in ya.:)

The whole camp ( all 12 hunters ) were showing great restraint . After taking us for a hunt within sight of camp the first day , during which all twelve hunters saw a grand total of 4 caribou . We were informed on the second day that one boat would not be going out at all as the driver of that boat , yup ! you guessed it , Gee ,was not experienced enough for the waves .

So the 6 of us whut dont get to go load up on backpacks and luch buckets and march off as far as we think we can go and still get back before it got too late . I'm glad we did since the priceless doings of watching Scott stalk a bear at 700 yards only to have it turn out to be a monstrous porcupine . In case you wondering , yes , I was somewhat responsible for this as I spotted it and as soon as I said " look , theres a bear " Scott was off like a shot , running down the granite hillside like some mad scotsman competing in the hill run at a clan gathering . So , you see , I was only partly responsible as he never gave me an opportunity to investigate further , and no ! , I did not tell him till much later why the " bear " wasnt there when he reached the spot last seen . Simply said that it left before you got there . Uuummm , actually , I think it was yesterday that I told him .
Still no caribou other than a few scattered cows and calves and by now my brain feeble though it is was beginning to " have a clue " . Why on earth did did I forget that the hunters that were at camp when w e arrived tell us that they had to go 20 to 30 miles up the lake to find caribou . Perhaps because it was true ? And that 20 to 30 miles had to done with the driver ( guide ? ) standing to watch the water color for the treacherous shoals .

Trudging back to camp after a day of absorbing countless views of beautiful , inspiring terrain Scott and I managed to put the pieces together .
P1001947_1_086.jpg

P1001941_1_080.jpg

The camp boss and his fellow ( guide ? ) were simply burnouts . Here we were in middle October and they had been taking out 12 hunters a week since bow season started in August . Understaffed with no time to rejuvenate or pass the duties on to backup they had devised a plan that allowed them some rest .

Hunt the new crew close to camp the first couple of days , along with leaving late in the day and a few other devices thrown in was their way out . That was their plan all along .

When it was announced at breakfast the following morning ( third day ) that the weather was still too bad windy I left the mess hall and wandered around in the surrounding woods and tundra taking photos and , it must be said , dealing with a more than trifling bit of anger . Scott was in the same condition and suggested we go fishing which we did .

By the evening of the third day we hunters had congregated on our own and comparing notes validated the thoughts Scott and I had come up with on our own . I cant tell you how good a bunch of fellows we were hunting with , each and every one a lot of fun . I'm speaking of the paying guests of course .

The next morning we hustled to the mess hall but the weather had worsened a bit
P1001965_1_104.jpg
and we were informed that the hunt would be delayed a bit and that only half crews woud be going out in the boats . This to " make it safer " was the explanation .

At this point I skipped my coffee and proceeded to the beach , climbed in my boat and went to sleep across the seat while waiting the moment of departure . I assumed Scot t would do the same so was surprised when a hour later the boat rocked and the last two hunters allowed to go climbed aboard and neither one was Scott . Loking past them I saw him standing off to the side looking a bit out of sorts .

What a war of mixed emotions ensued then . You see the two that had clambered aboard were father and son . Seventy something and thirty something respectively . While he was in apparent good health it had become plain to see that the horrifically rocky , slippery shore line and the height of the sides of the canoe that he would probably not make this trip again .

Pickup my gear , get out of the boat , frown at Scott , though while doing so realizing that it was misplaced frustrations .

I gotta agree with Bob. Beautiful pictures.
Sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the rest of the story.
James

How Jim killed a toothless caribou - PART FOUR

C'mon ! C'mon ! , theyre back ! , the shout brought me out of my feeling sorry for myself reverie . Then came sounds of the outboard , growling ever louder as it was revved up to shove the canoe further up on the landing .

Hustling down to the cove I was treated to a lovely sight . Caribou !! and canoes full of them . A lot of smiling faces and everyone talking at once , what a grand feeling it brought .

P1001979_1_118.jpg

Seems the lads had come upon a bit of a herd crossing the lake . Everyone had taken at least one bull and many managed two . Then we realized it was our turn . That grand feeling grew fit to burst .

P1001975_1_114.jpg

Hurriedly loading our gear , we headed up the lake with
ever increasing excitement . About twenty miles into the trip bou in small scattered herds started appearing with regularity . Why arent we stopping to stalk them ? Turning to Gee , our taxi driver , I pointed out a group of caribou that was single filing along a small ridge and dropping out of sight one by one as we watched .

Holding my hands apart at my sides with palms up with what I hoped was a quizzical expression on my face I then pointed at the beach . A small shrug of the shoulders was Gee's response but he did turn to the land and we all piled out .

Two to the right and two to the left we planned a pincer stalk . Gee elected to go with Scott and I . Once he was out of the boat he seemed to be happier , as if some decision had been reached and he was no longer struggling with a private dilemna . It would not be until much later that I found out why this was so .

Climbing a rugged boulder strewn hillside we reached a vantage point where we could see where the caribou had filed off to . Rats !! , a spruce forest , grown close to the ridge we had spied them on had swallowed all sign of them . Our compadres on the other end of the pincer were nowhere to be seen as a bog was on their end and they were no doubt hidden by the dwarf spruce and larch that grew there . Trying to navigate a way through without sinking up to their necks would be slow going for sure .

Turning our backs on them we worked our way to the top of the hill in order to glass the steep slopes opposite us . 735 yds to the middle of the slope ,so said the Swarovski rangefinder and with a 25 to 30 mph full value crosswind a shot from our position was beyond our abilities . Sadly so because a nice bull was nested by a boulder the size of my house . Comfortably out of the wind it appeared he may spend the day there . This thinking led to a decision to go after him even though we would spend a minimum of an hour getting to within 300 yard of him without being seen .

Hindsight teaches that I should have joined Scott in explaining to Gee what we planned to do . I didnt want to let the bull out of my sight so continued to glass him as Scott made " arrangements" . Even so I am not sure it would have helped being as neither of us speak french .

An hour later found us staring at the giant boulder the bull had camped out at only to see .......nothing ! The bull , as caribou are more likely to do than not , had wandered on . Not disturbed by this at all we pressed on to the ridge top confident we would spot him on the other side . Double rats !! Nowhere to be seen and the ridge we were on culminated in a 500 foot sheer drop to the lake below. Glassing far to the east of the lake revealed nothing walking on four legs so we had a long walk inland to negotiate around the cliffs and make our way to the beach below . That was our plan , to be picked up on the other side of the ridge after Gee had collected the other two hunters .

Reaching the beach we found a sandy bit of shore suitable for grounding the canoe and sat down to some lunch . The camp cook always provided each hunter with more than most could eat but I was planning on giving it my best shot . Then a sentence remembered from the camp boss first day lecture paraded through my mind , " If you dont meet the boat at the appointed time you will be left until the next day " period , end of sentence . My appetite for the second thick meaty sandwich fled and I tucked it away in my backpack .

" Scott , I dont think Gee's coming " were the first words out of my mouth after a two hour wait and no sign of our boat . Aww ! , he wont leave us here , I told him to pick us up over here and I think I'm taking a nap " was his reply to my paranoia . Since taking a nap meant laying down in a depression out of the wind it also meant being out of sight of the boat should it round the point in search of us . So I asked him to take off his orange and tie it around a big rock that was plainly visible from all points .

Heading further inland I decided to make arrangements in case my fears of being left out overnight were realized . I knew the day faded fast way up here and did not want to spend the night in the open . With practically no prospects for building a fire due to lack of suitable fuel and knowing even if I did have material that would burn the wind was so strong and from every direction it would simply be blown all over the place including on sleeping Scott and Jim , I started looking for a way to build a shelter .

Spying a small grove of dwarf spruce I looked around until I found a small open space . Taking hold of the trunk of a tree and working it until I had it bent over I tied a bit of nylon rope to the top and continuing this process in a rough circle tied them all together in a way as to have around 3 feet of room underneath them with a small entrance to crawl into . By now three hours have past and I am resolving myself to spending a cold , long
night in this shelter that , up until now , had existed only in some fictional frontiersman novel I had read .

Jimmba !!! , the shout cut through my mental meanderings and then Scott , who knowing of my dreams of Africa had given me
that nickname to go along with them , came rushing up to my little castaway nest . Seems he had awakened to the sound of the outboard and spotting it far out in the main body of the lake watched first with unbelief as it proceeded to grow smaller ,then with relief as it turned in our direction .

I was a happy noncamper for sure but now a bit of anger was simmering as well . When confronted with our barrage of questions Gee simply pointed at one of our hunting partners and said in a broken english "that man see you orange , or for you , breakfast island " pointing at the spit of land we had just left . Suspecting that Gee knew more english than he could speak I pointed at the sheer bluffs that we had to work around and said " you knew those bluffs were there and you thought we wouldnt be able or willing too work our way around them to the beach so you just waited on us to return to the boat , yes ? For that bit of prescience I was rewarded with a small shrug and lifting of eyebrows . After discussing it with the other hunters this was confirmed .

Arriving at the camp just at dark I ate the excellent meal that was waiting and went to my cabin . Tomorrow was the last day .

Last edited:
Jim........I do believe you could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.:)

Before I ever head up to that country to hunt I'm going to check to see what the season and bag limit is on camp bosses, guides etc. etc. cause I'm afraid I'd probably have to shoot one if I had any experiences even close to what you experienced.:rolleyes:

Somehow I get the feeling, knowing you, that you're kinda glossing some of this over and it was probably worse than what we are reading, but that's just a guess on my part.;)

Alright, now get to writing the last because it's getting uncomfortable sitting here on the edge of my chair.:)

Jimm

Wonderful story...somehow I missed seeing it before now...Duh! :confused:

I have had similar dis-satisfaction too often with outfitters in the past. So now I hunt without one and have only myself to blame when things are frustrating.

Some time after my last-ever outfitted hunt, my buddy and I did some counting. We figured that on about 2/3 of our outfitted hunts we were at the very least "irritated" by a guide or even the outfitter himself. So we asked ourselves why we should pay money for that kind of aggravation. I would have been right there with Scott attracting the ire of the head guide for asking perfectly logical questions and pushing the envelope as a paying "guest". No more outfitted hunts for me, though I know you can't effectively hunt bou's without one.

And now write on, oh Great Scribe!

Len said: "No more outfitted hunts for me, though I know you can't effectively hunt bou's without one."

Oh but you can Len, one word for you Alaska! Nope you can't hunt his eastern cousin without a guide, but Alaska will allow you to hunt caribou all you want without a guide.

Now Jim, please get back to the story as you have me at the edge of my seat wanting to see how this all played out.

Last day of the "toothless caribou saga "

Todays the day , todays the day ! , was running through my head even as I awakened . It reminded me of the old joke about the oldtimer that , having been asked how often he had sex , replied " once a year " . At that point his questioner asked "then why are you so happy " ? " Because " , the old gent answered , " tonights the night " !

The day was dawning fair and the old familiar enthusiasm and optimism was building as I raced to dress . Scott , who had ended up in a different cabin than me , came in the door with a big grin plastered on his mug . He then sobered a bit and said " guess why Gee didnt want to put ashore to hunt the caribou we were seeing " ?
Not waiting for an answer he plunged on , " its because he is under orders to just look for the bou close to shore or in the lake " !
A lot of things clicked together at that point and my perfectly lovely morning grew a big fat pimple on it .

That cloud faded to insignificance when ,as we were having breakfast , the " camp boss from hades " announced that the boats were not going out today because he needed to prepare the animals already taken for shipment the next day " .

The silence that followed was a line drawn in the sand , cross it and what comes may be beyond unpleasant . I saw the others around the table looking with sympathetic faces at Scott and I since we were the only ones without a bou . Glancing at Scott I could see him struggling with disbelief in what he had heard and
his own rising anger .

It was too late for me , I was shot through with what I felt was justifiable wrath . I turned my gaze to the end of the table where after meeting my eyes for a heartbeat , the camp boss looked away . Then there was an eruption of sound , everyone at the table ,other than Scott and I , were talking with no small amount of volume .

We can all pitch in and help package the meat , was the gist of what was being said . And so , in this despicable fashion the camp boss once again shirked his duties and gained free help . If he only knew , I thought later , All he had to do was ask and all of us would have gladly volunteered to help .

An hour and a half later , the beauty of the land passing by on either side of the canoe was gently massaging all that ugly scene from my mind . Gee , Scott and I were 25 or so miles up the lake with a whole day before us . Cows and calves were beginning to appear and surely we would find the bulls .Gee was even getting into the hunt and accepted our directions to stay closer to shore and investigate the sheltered coves that came along .

As we were leaving one of those coves Scott turned around on the seat and was glassing behind us . I was about to say something to the effect that there wasnt anything there when he about knocked me out of the boat grabbing my arm .

"Bull!!! top of the ridge , he just came over " , came the most explosive (whisper ? ) I believe I've ever heard . Gee responded quickly by turning the boat around and moving closer to shore to take advantage of the cover . Scott was urging him to go further back into the cove but at this Gee balked and with some words and some sign language he explained that if the bull saw us he would leave even though he was hundreds of yard away .

"I just want to see how good he is " , Scott reasoned with me . " He is a grown bull and you are going to shoot it " I shot back at him . By now Gee had manouvered close against a patch of spruce and big boulders close to shore , good cover to start our stalk .

All this time the bull was doing his " caribou thing " , steady walking and feeding . Fortunately he was in the bowl end of the cove and that kept him from getting as far away since he was in effect coming back towards us from the end , only on the other side .

We ran out of cover at about the same time the bull looked our way . Hissing to Scott to freeze we crouched and I took a quick reading of the distance . " 347 yards , 20 mph wind , full value " , I reported and he clicked . Then the bull started walking ,headed to the ridge and safety .

I was in my binoculars when the 7STW spoke , the bull stopped and humped up before walking a few steps and laying down . The 176 gr. Cauterucio bullet had hit a bit far back , " gut shot for sure . The wind and the bulls walking speed had conspired a gainst a solid hit .

Since the bull seemed to be unwilling to get up we closed the distance by leapfrogging with Scott
picking his way and me keeping the bull under observation . If the bull offered to get up I would alert Scott so he could drop prone for another shot .

And thats the way it worked . The bull struggling to his feet as Scott hit the ground and then the sweet sound of the big 7mm . Solid hit !! the bull dropped like a hankerchief wrapped around a brick .

P1001986_1_125-1.jpg

What sweet work it was to disassemble the bull and pack him down to the canoe . Gee brought the boat over to the side of the cove the bull was on and then came up the hill and took over fielddressing as Scott and I marched the bits down to the shore .
P1001987_1_126.jpg

With grins on our faces bright enough to give someone sunburn we motored back out into the main body of the lake , eager to locate and stalk another bull .

So why is Gee heading back down the lake towards camp ? The caribou are all north of us , radio reports overhead on the camp radio had relayed this info the evening before . Deciding that he was planning on circling the huge island we took Scotts bull on I relaxed and continued glassing . When the end of the island passed by and we continued on towards camp Scott turned to Gee with that universal palms up for "what , why " and so on .

Pointing at the waves ,Gee replied , " the wind " . With broken bits of english he seemed to be saying he was worried that it would become to great to motor in . In reality , the wind was only making 3 foot rollers and this great freighter ogf a canoe was riding light as a cork . He then suggested that he could let us out 30 minutes before camp and then come pick us at dusk .

Then it dawned on me that Gee was simply under orders again . Camp Boss had struck again . I was so glum for the next hour that Scott broke the silence and said " I wish you had shot that bull instead of me " That jerked me out of my little pity party , realizing I had put a damper on his enjoyment of having been successful .

"Scott , I am so glad you got that bull and I would never have dreamed of shooting it , its the last day and we have a bull and I am happy for that " , all true , I assured him .

You see , Scott had paid my way to this hunt . He had tried to get me to go with him but I had to turn him down due to a lack of the green stuff . "Too many irons in the fire" , was how I put it . Then after a number of days he showed up at my house with a video of the hunts in this area . Rubbing salt in the wound I was thinking when he asked me whether I would rather hunt caribou while in " velvet "' or " hard horned " .

Thinking he was asking this for his own decision making I answered , " If it was my first hunt it wouldnt matter to me " . " Good !! , he all but shouted , " cuz I have booked a hunt for you and I this fall .

All these thoughts were interrupted as Gee turned into shore to let us out for the evening hunt . " What do you want to do Jim " ? my hunting buddy inquired ." Sure " , I replied , " beats sitting back at camp " .

Climbing up a small slope to get a vantage point to glass from I must admit I had given up . So when we reached a good spot I sat down on a rock and decided to have a snack . Meanwhile Scott was pirouetting around like a ballerina with his binoculars glued to his face .

The next words I heard were ones I would have bet the farm against the odds of hearing them . " I've got a bull " !!! Jim , I've got a bull !! . I simply couldnt believe what i was hearing . One hour before dark and a bull in sight In an area that had been scoured for weeks on end beginning in August .

" See that first ridge , go left of the big rock then look over to the next ridge and then go left to the lone spruce and then to the next ridge " , he was dancing as he explained . " Thats over a mile away " , I whined .

Then it happened , a second wind if you will , a last minute chance at a bull , rising up from my rock and urging " lets go " we tore off down the ridge . All the miles walked in the days gone by were forgotten as we crossed bog after bog and climbed each new ridge eagerly glassing for the bull .

Approaching the final ridge , we crept bent over and glassed carefully as each new bit of terrain came into view . Then there was no more to see . All the other slope was in full sight and the bull was nowhere to be seen . Thinking he may have dropped off the end of the ridge down to the lake shore we worked our way in that direction .

Glancing back at Scott there was the bull ! ,apparently coming out of a depression we hadnt noticed . And he was staring at us !!. Scott, Scott , Scott get over here ! , I was dropping to the ground even as I spoke . Backpack off , rifle on pack , wallowing around like a hog , I was desperate to get the bull in my sights before he walked back over the hill . "300 yds give or take a couple" came the whisper ," and no wind " .

I never heard the big 7 speak , but at the trigger break I saw the bull move off smartly towards a bog just below him ." He's hit , lets go " Scott was yards away as he reported this . Scrambling to my feet we made our way to the bog and crept along glassing with each new step . Head down , breathing heavily , the bull was at the edge of a small lake .

And then he was ours !

P1001992_1_131.jpg

P1001999_1_136.jpg

THE END

Great story and pictures Jim. Thanks for helping cure some cabin fever around here.

That smile on your face says it all.:) If you guys can make a successful hunt out of what you went through then you guys could hunt with just about anybody.;)

Sounds like 'ol Scott is a keeper. Friends like that are few and far between.:)

I'm glad you each got a bull and had some great times together. One thing though..........when all of you hunters left......did you leave the "camp boss" in good enough shape that he could at least get to civilization to get medical help.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.