I want to get running water from a hose in remote elk camp?

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
Someone must have done this and have the answers for me.

For archery elk camp this year we'll be camping out of our trucks at 12,000' right next to a stream.

I think it would be handy to have a hose running from the stream to camp - say 50' or so down hill. I'll put a shut off valve at the bottom end.

A) Will this work?

B) What should I do with the end of the hose in the stream?

C) Any trick to priming it?

I put 2 500gal metal tanks off the side of a steep rim that elk frequently bed on. Had 11 50gal barrels on a flat bed and on PVC valve with a hose as long as a barrel is deep. Connected 250 yards of drip tubing to the valve and let gravity do the rest. Because you have to come up over the bank you'll have to syphen and I believe you'll lose pressure the minute you close your valve. A battery operated pump could do the work for you. I built a camp shower with shower head and a toggle switch powered by a car battery. I'm sure somebody here can give a better idea than me. Sounds like a great idea if you can get it to work.

We used to just get a 30gal drum with the bottom cut out and hook the hose to the bung. Drop it in the creek and your gtg.

Have used a 3-4" pvc about 24" reduced to a regular 3/4 npt thread. Screwed the male end of the hose adaptor in to it and connected the hose. You will need enough elevation drop to overcome any rise out of the creek. Actually got pretty good flow with this set up. Make sure you screen the inlet with this method.

Len
The further up hill you can run the hose the more pressure you will have, 0.47 psi per vertical foot, (100 vertical feet = 47 PSI, static pressure) and the bigger the hose the less friction loss, more flow.

Good Luck

Dave

For archery elk camp this year we'll be camping out of our trucks at 12,000' right next to a stream.

I think it would be handy to have a hose running from the stream to camp - say 50' or so down hill. I'll put a shut off valve at the bottom end.

A) Will this work?

I would get a plastic 55 gallon drum, a gas powered pump with a suction hose and screen, and
enough hose to reach your camp.

For transport place everything in the barrel (Except the gas can) and when you get your camp
set up set the plastic drum up in an elevated position. Install a valve and shower head or hose
bib.

Set the pump down near the stream with the suction hose and screen in a deeper location of
the stream.

Run the 50+feet hose up and into the drum and use the gas pump to fill the drum when needed.
This way the pump would not have any trouble losing prime and only runs when you need to
fill the drum.

55 gallons is good for about10 to 15 showers or a lot of dish washing/and cleaning up.

The small pumps used by contractors to pump out excavations will do fine and don't use
a lot of gas.

Just a suggestion.

J E CUSTOM

Clint Idaho and dirtball are right on. Take a piece of 4" pvc at least 2 feet long to build a "catch". Glue a cap on it but first drill a hole in the center of the cap and glue in a plastic fitting that you can hook your hose to. Now if there is trash coming down the creek you may want to put some window screen or such over the end of the catch to keep things clean.

I catch the irrigation water for my orchard this way but use a 2' pvc line instead of a hose. Just weight the catch down in the creek with rocks. Now if you don't rise above the catch it will fill by itself and you won't have to prime it. If you have to rise above the catch first lay the hose in the creek and fill it by plugging the end and when full lift out of the creek keeping the end plugged. Now when you open the downward valve it will siphon.

Thanks for the help guys!

I've got my pvc pipe and fittings all ready to go.

Andy

A) Will this work?

Sorry Andy.

I though the stream was 50' below you.(I need to read the post better).

Gravity will work well If you can get the stream pond ed up where you place the inlet.

I have used 2'' PVC with short pieces of old fire nose and screw clamps to connect the joints
of pipe and allow for easier routing.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.